Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mitsu robbing 3 design!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Default RE: Mitsu robbing 3 design!

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

1) Drac, is that a picture of your car, with Pi on the back?

2) I thinkthe Lancerdoes lookgenerallysimilar from the back.With theside by side pics (thanks for them, BTW) you can see the differences, but the bumper, the reflector-style tail lights, the wide license plate area, definitely there is some ripping off happening. The big-spoke-look aluminum wheels are also very Mazda3ish. And the antenna on the roof just above the back window!

3) Speaking of rip offs, though,I have tosay the M3 hasa very similarshape and size as the current BMW 3 series. When I see the 3 series beamer from the side, I often mistake it for an M3 until I look more closely.
1. No that is not my car.
2. Every car has their own designers that get inspirations from other cars. Usually these inspirations come from higher end models so they get stolen in such a fashion. My roommate thinks that Mazda3 wagons stole the broad strips under the windows from the Audi wagon, the front of that Lancer is STRAIGHT from the books of volvo, the Ford Fusion stole their front end from the Last gen preludes...you want me to keep going? 3. If you think the Mazda3 idea was stolen by BMW you are looking at different cars. The 3 series and up design was based more on the Z4 (THIER CAR) than anything else.

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3
lol thats funny with the pi on the back. and BMW i think should be allowed... after all we stole the M3 from them lol. truthfull i just think that every car wants to be just like a mazda3
I'm sorry but stop thinking that the Mazda3 is all high and mighty and that every other car wants to be the Mazda3. I just hope you were joking on that reference.

I mean hell...Mazda stole their hatchback BASIC style from the Toyota Matrix.

And btw...if ANYTHING mitsu stole their light setup from the Lexus IS250/350.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Damn Drac.I have to say that I agree with nearly everything you just said. Amazing.Except perhaps the Ford Fusion comment, but I'd have to look @ a newer Prelude again.
I think it's a good call on the Lexus though. Damn near perfect copies.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 PM

^^ Here you go.
Honda Prelude

Ford Fusion:

It's not exact, but you can see some similarities.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

That is closer than I mighta' thought. Very similar.
I used to pine over the Preludes (I had once worked for a Honda dealer,) but they have gotten so long in the tooth that I hardly even pay attention to them anymore.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM

That was my car before the speed3. I had a 2000 Prelude SH. AMAZING car, but the Mazda just had better performance (less in the cornering though...), more "luxury" and did I mention more room?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Draconius

1. No that is not my car.
2. Every car has their own designers that get inspirations from other cars. Usually these inspirations come from higher end models so they get stolen in such a fashion. My roommate thinks that Mazda3 wagons stole the broad strips under the windows from the Audi wagon, the front of that Lancer is STRAIGHT from the books of volvo, the Ford Fusion stole their front end from the Last gen preludes...you want me to keep going? 3. If you think the Mazda3 idea was stolen by BMW you are looking at different cars. The 3 series and up design was based more on the Z4 (THIER CAR) than anything else.

The similar look of the M3 to the BMW 3 series ... if anything, I feel the M3 was "inspired" by BMW (maybe based on spy photographs). When I was looking around at options before buying my M3, one of the reviews I read said the M3 has euro-styling - definitely true - certainly Mazda seems to have "looked" (cough cough) at both current and coming euro models in coming up with its general shape. As most of you probably know, the M3 is built on a Volvo-designed chassis. And the front quarter panel turn signal is certainly proof of European "inspiration."

Old 09-14-2007, 08:59 PM

haha yes drac i was just kidding. the mazda 3 is not high and mighty but it is a nice car. however i do notice people in their Toyota IS300 and honda civics and little cars like that. they come up to me and tell me that my car is beautiful. hell i took my car into my shop and my shop teacher told me that he was considering this.. then bought a corolla... lol. but generally im extremely happy with it.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Draconius
^^ Here you go.
Honda Prelude

Ford Fusion:

It's not exact, but you can see some similarities.
Or perhaps they were going after this audience too?

I saw one driving through a parking lot yesterday and thought that it too looked similar, anda more likely target for the Fusion designers. Again, not an exact copy but the similarities are there imo.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 AM

wow, that g35 is a good catch. i honestly couldnt compare it to any other car looks-wise (except the nissan z... but its the same car really). and i always wondered what the fusion was reminding me of. how bout the body styles of the mitsu eclipse 95-99 and the mkIV supra... the bodies are a bit similar if you look at them from the side. how many times was my eclipse confused for a supra, countless.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11538/833DBCD00DC44D5EB4A7DD40A33E204C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11538/9D6A68C0028C430DB50DB9C8A0B5C132.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

1) Drac, is that a picture of your car, with Pi on the back?

2) I thinkthe Lancerdoes lookgenerallysimilar from the back.With theside by side pics (thanks for them, BTW) you can see the differences, but the bumper, the reflector-style tail lights, the wide license plate area, definitely there is some ripping off happening. The big-spoke-look aluminum wheels are also very Mazda3ish. And the antenna on the roof just above the back window!

3) Speaking of rip offs, though,I have tosay the M3 hasa very similarshape and size as the current BMW 3 series. When I see the 3 series beamer from the side, I often mistake it for an M3 until I look more closely.

Thanks for the Pi photo. gave me a laugh for the day.

Quick Reply: Mitsu robbing 3 design!