Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

My first 2004 mazda 3 hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 PM
Default My first 2004 mazda 3 hatchback

I was thinking about getting Megan racing lowering springs 1.5 inches front/rear for my mazda 3 hatchback that's a 2004?do you guys recommend or something better because I just want a smooth ride and my car is going to be use for daily driving.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Hi hatch:
Congrats to your Mazda.
About lowering springs and other suspension mods: Suspensions are an exercise in compromising. There are 2 extremes: smoooooooth, like in Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick and rock hard, like in a go kart, Toyota Celica, Mazda Miata or a Mini Cooper from the 60's or 70's. Then there is everything else in between.
That means if you use lowering springs of any kind it will be harder, not smoother. If you use larger rims with lower aspect ratio tires it will be harder, not smoother.
Therefore: if you really want a smooth ride, then leave the suspension alone. If you want your 3 to ride smoother than it does now get -1 sized wheels with Michelin Defender tires. -1 sized means: if you have 16" rims now you replace them with 15" rims and you use tires with higher sidewall to get same outside diameter as original. You end up with more air in the tires without increasing air pressure. That makes it smoother.
So, what is more important to you, a smoother ride or a cooler, lowered look?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Banned

Agree with tan... like the bit about smaller rims, more tire = smoother ride! This can be done provided your brakes will still clear. You'll have to contact your Mazda dealer if smaller sizes are availbale for your model.
Also lowering springs are usually complimented with larger thick anti-sway bars to help your tires from bottomming out because with the lowering springs your tires will be closer to body, suspension pieces. This adds to a harsher ride as the suspension stiffens to help keep the wheel assembly from travelling too much,hitting body components...

Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Default Thanks tan and use

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Hi hatch:
Congrats to your Mazda.
About lowering springs and other suspension mods: Suspensions are an exercise in compromising. There are 2 extremes: smoooooooth, like in Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick and rock hard, like in a go kart, Toyota Celica, Mazda Miata or a Mini Cooper from the 60's or 70's. Then there is everything else in between.
That means if you use lowering springs of any kind it will be harder, not smoother. If you use larger rims with lower aspect ratio tires it will be harder, not smoother.
Therefore: if you really want a smooth ride, then leave the suspension alone. If you want your 3 to ride smoother than it does now get -1 sized wheels with Michelin Defender tires. -1 sized means: if you have 16" rims now you replace them with 15" rims and you use tires with higher sidewall to get same outside diameter as original. You end up with more air in the tires without increasing air pressure. That makes it smoother.
So, what is more important to you, a smoother ride or a cooler, lowered look?
I already have the smoother ride my car drives pretty good but I'm looking into a lowered look but not too low. I'm looking into putting it stance with 18 inch rims with tires that are not to thin or too thick but wide that way it sits nice. I was thinking about keeping it stock height because it's pretty low and just getting camber arms to stick it out a little bit and just fill in the gap with some meaty tires and 18 inch rims? Should I drop it 1.5 inches in the front and back or just leave it stock height?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Sure you can make it "sit nice" but it will "drive harsh-er". There is no way around it.

Just getting wider tires, or messing with the offset using spacers and such will also mess with the steering geometry. As far as clearance issues with the fender, you are on your own, because you do an experiment.
You know the difference between a trick and an experiment? The trick always works. The experiment not so much.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mazda3hatch04
I already have the smoother ride my car drives pretty good but I'm looking into a lowered look but not too low. I'm looking into putting it stance with 18 inch rims with tires that are not to thin or too thick but wide that way it sits nice. I was thinking about keeping it stock height because it's pretty low and just getting camber arms to stick it out a little bit and just fill in the gap with some meaty tires and 18 inch rims? Should I drop it 1.5 inches in the front and back or just leave it stock height?
the lower the profile tire, the harder the sidewall, regardless on width.
The camber spacers you say, but i say wheel/hub spacers may require new longer studs!
Suspension characteristics change. When you move the wheels further away from the stock wheel hub, you’re effectively giving more leverage to the wheel. On the negative side it means that springs don’t absorb bumps as well, shocks aren’t as effective at damping harshness, and steering requires more effort. On the positive side, wheels that are further apart are more resistant to rollover.
Beware longer studs. While you can buy longer wheel studs, it’s really not a smart idea. Studs have an ideal length to thickness ratio, and longer studs either need to be thicker than the studs they’re replacing, made from a stronger material, or there need to be more of them. Some washer-type wheel spacers will come with extra-long wheel studs, but this is a bad arrangement because the wheel will have more leverage over a longer stud. This could result in a stud bending or snapping, which could cause a wheel to fall off.
Wider tires create additional suspension stress. Every suspension component is effected by wider tires. While there’s definitely something to be gained off-road with a 12.5″ wide tire over a 10.5″ wide tire, it’s important to ask yourself if the increased off-road ability is worth reducing the life of ball and CV joints, wheel bearings, etc. If you’re building an extreme off-road machine, you should be prepared for larger and more frequent suspension repair bills.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Thank you guys so much @tan and @use I'm new to all this so I'm thinking about what's best for me and my car and what I can afford I got some thinking to do.