Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

N/A mods!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Default N/A mods!

Hey guys its been a while since I posted here but I'm looking for a few ideas to toss around and I need some help. I'm looking for some more N/A mods to up the HP and TQ. I already have an intake and full exhaust. (Header, 2.5 piping, removed resonator) What else is there?

Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: N/A mods!

Rather than upping the hp, why not try reducing weight? Same effect. Better handling and mileage.
Lighter wheels, tires, lugs. Lightened flywheel and a Stage1 clutch for better clamping.Removing everything in the car's interioryou don't need,etc.....
It would be nice if tuning (the ECU) were an easy thing on these cars, but it's not. And as far as I know, no one offers a piggyback chip that's worth a damn, or a modified ECU.
Have you done the Monzsta timing mod? It's good for a little bit... hardly noticeable, but there.

Just a thought.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:46 PM

i would for sure go with the flywheel and clutch upgrade...should free up some rotating mass and add a little more hp to the wheels.

but i am going to do a complete n/a build as well...plans for me are the following, already have intake and exhaust.

F2 Header
Clutch /Flywheel
Microtech
Cosworth Intake Manifold
and then Raise the Compression Ration inmy 2.0L to 11:1 and retune it.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 PM

ya, i'd go with a lightweight flywheel. it will greatly increase engine response and acceleration.

what about a short shifter?
im pretty sure they make aftermarket cams now, and theres all the forged internals you can buy now......
and what about smaller stuff, like motor mounts??

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Great Idea guys. One problem....I have an automatic....minus the rims and lighter lugs

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM

lol, well there goes all our ideas......

so ya, go with lightwieght rims (ray's, gramlites, etc)
very pricey, but so worth it!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 PM

you should check to see if there is a stroker crank available yet. that would add some serious torque. if you crack open the block, you could do that and dome top pistons at once. you should definitely crack open the tranny if you plan on doing a lot of mods. there are some plastic internals on the autos that could be replaced, the seals could be strengthened, you could add an ATF cooler, and even do some work to the clutch converters. autos are bad-*** for drag racing andi don't want to hear a lot of crap over making that statement, because you wouldn't argue with me ifyou knew better.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 AM

If your auto thenI would really look into the lantech valve body and trans cooler.

I know people have used a ranger 2.3L crank in there engines but i believe that lowers the compression ratio.....i would have to dig some more.

but unfortunetly no cams or anything yet. But the rear motor mount would help with launch traction, but it does cause cabin vibration.

I think its still gonna be a little bit until we get significant n/a parts for this car....but just wait.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I was unable to open your e-mail as my system thinks there's a bug in it, but I assume your question is about the Monzsta timing mod.
Here's a link: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=39020.0
PM me here if you have any other questions.

BTW: I've heard good things about the lantech valve body also, but have no personal experience with their products.

For lightweight wheels that won't kill your wallet, what I'm looking at are the Kosei K1 TS. Their available in a 17x7 50et, which is about as close to OEM as you can get. They are $189 apiece here: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/60-1180.html and only weigh 13.8 lbs., or approx 5lbs a piece less than the 17" OEMs. But I understand he's out of them at the moment. I've asked him to contact me when he gets a fresh supply and will order them for mine then. If you wish, you could write him yourself and ask to be put on the list. His name is Brian Goodwin, hence his companies name, "Good-Win-Racing."

Old 07-06-2007, 02:41 PM

I know 5Zigen also makes really light weight rims, but I have never personally had them, so not sure of quality or if they even come in our bolt patterns.