Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need advice on mods..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Default Need advice on mods..

Hey everyone... i just bought a brand new 2008 black mazda 3 hatchback. It is a five speed and i am new to modifying cars. i would like any input on mods to do with the car. Mostly cheaper preformance mods. 500 or less. That is just to start. I currently have the car all stock other then a 225 watt jl amp and a 10" jl moblie sub. Any suggestions.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Default RE: Need advice on mods..

intake, header, exhaust. the exhaust should be above $500 for a complete exhaust, but it is worth it.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:04 PM

what kind of intake and i am not sure what a header does

Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

For street performance, the AEM, Mazdaspeed (same as the AEM,) K&N or Injen should do nicely.
For more trackingperformance, the Fujita.

A header replaces the stock exhaust manifold and depending on how well it's designed and for what, can greatly increase the exhausts ability to extract expended engine gasses. Also expect it to be a louder w/a header.
For street use, a 4-2-1 header is best.That's 4 primary tubescollected into2 tubes followed by a single (1) outlet collector. While this is not the correct header for the M3, the picture should give a better idea of what I'm talking about.

4-2-1 Header >>>

The only one made that I am familiar w/is the Vibrant.Personally I also highly recommend Vibrants cat-back. https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_53114/tm.htm
For the track, a 4-1 for higher rpm performance.

4-1 header >>>

Avoid the OBX header for this model. Those that have tried it have all kinds of fitment and CEL (Check Engine Light) issues.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 AM

thanks. like i said i am new and i am trying to do some research before i go out and just start doing things. That exhaust sounds just like what i wanted to get. i wanted something that is not loudbut hassome sound to it.About how much did it cost you?

And i have looked up the AEM's for the cold air intake. They look nice buti am also trying todo alot of the mods myself. What is the difficulty level on theintake.

Any other suggestions would be appericiated.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Or, instead of getting a full exhaust system (which i think is a waste because the car is not turboed) you can change the piping and make it sound louder for a very cheap price. My friend did his for 75 bucks. Or you can do what I'm doing and just weld a tip that will look like you have en exhaust but you dont.

I dont suggest you go higher than a 2.25" and just add a tip to make it seem bigger, I've heard that it causes droning at 70 mphs. If you haveanything bigger than thatyou can potentially lose low end torque that you would have without an intake. i'd say you need both an exhaust and an intake to do the job right. for now you should just stick with the exhaust then add the intake or vice versa, depends on the money. I've heard great things about the fujita CAI (Cold air intake)from alot of people, they say they don't have many problems with it, but there is also an Injen CAI and others. Some brands that come for exhausts are

Vibrant Performance
Magna Flow
HKS
Borla

if you are unsure about which exhaust, i suggest you go with the magnaflow because you usually can't go wrong when you pick them. They know what they're doing. They also have tips that are made from them so you can also look that up too. Look online on youtube for the sound that you want, but be warned that the video may not sound as good as real life, but there are alot of videos that post which CAI they use along with their exhaust.

I hope this helps you

Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM

haha hey virgin, i learned alot since i joined the forum from a while back huh?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yup!! You sure have, Ethereal!! That's what it's all about.... sharing knowledge, experiences, opinions, thoughts and BS!! That's why they call it a community.

mghtymouse380!! Research is GOOD, and I highly recommend it. Opinions, including my own, are one thing, but doing your own research, including the opinions of others, can help you draw it all together into something you want and can live with.
Ethereal has a point about the Magna-Flow. It's not a loud system, though louder than OE (Original Equipment)and can be had cheaper than the Vibrant. To me, the down sides are that it's a bit on the raspy side and has a less impressive tip than most.It is also a clamp together system, not flanged +/-$100 to have them added at a muffler shop,) and does not come w/a high-flow cat converter (+/-$100 value.)
BUT, there are systems that use Magna-Flow mufflers/resonators that use mild steel tubing and can be had for +/-$300. Basically, you get what you pay for. Cheap out w/an eBay system and it is likely gonna sound like RICE, and fall apart In a year... if it fits at all.
Speaking of which, remember please that the sedan is approx 1.68" LONGER than the 5-Dr. Few exhaust manufacturer's distinguish between the two. Watch for that too or a shorter than necessary system may melt your bumper from excessive heat.
One system not mentioned here is the ARK. Look into that one.

Now, to finally answer your questions in a more direct manner:

My Vibrant cost me $640 including State sales tax and shipping.

I have done my own mods before, built and modded my own stuffon older cars and applaud your thoughts on doing it on your 3, but these newer cars and they way they are, it's quite hard to improve or save money on what the performance companies have already designed, built and researched. My suggestion: To save time, money and aggravation, buy what you can, but if you have a new idea for something, by all means try it!!

WHEW!!! I'm worn out from writing this post. Think I'll take a nap now!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM

Yeah i think that research is one of the best things. And that is what i am doing right now. I am looking into starting next month or so with getting some things so i have been online looking and asking as many people as i can about what they know. I appericiate all of the help that i can get. I am also really excited about getting my new 3. I am in love. It is only my second car and it is my first 5 speed. I am going to look into to all of your suggestions and get back to you on what i think is best and get your opinions as well.
As foretheral i hope that i learn as much as you seem to have. That is one reason y i joined to community. Again thanks for all of your help and if you find out anything else let me know.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM

do basic things for now. Look in the classified section of the forum you might run into great deals (i paid 120$ for my fujita intake that was slightly used). Search monstaz advance timing...its free but only works if you put 89-93 octane. You can drive on reg but you won't have the hp gain and its only like 5hp. Intake i would do first. Exhaust, then header. You can get OBX exhaust for about 300$, sounds pretty nice and doesn't look too bad either. Then get header later down the road. If it doesn't have tints get tints about a 60-150$ job.

Quick Reply: Need advice on mods..