Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need help A/C noise and smoke. What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Default Need help A/C noise and smoke. What's going on?

While driving my 2006 Mazda 2.3 the A/C started making a lot of noise and blowing hot air and a lot of smoke coming out of the engine compartment and also getting into the cabin, I pulled over inmediately because it sounded like the belt gave away or broke but I checked both belts and they still look in perfect condition because they were replaced three month ago at a Mazda dealer. I was told by another driver that the noise was made by the A/C clutch pulley bearing and it may have damaged the compressor but what I'm really worried about is all the smoke coming out of the engine. Where is coming from? Is there a reason why? Did something else is damage? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 AM

If there was smoke, no AC and alot of noise but the belt is ok then it sounds like your A/C's clutch just died and not its bearing. Does it still click when you turn the AC on and try to turn or is it dead dead?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM

The belt is fine and the engine also start without any problem but the A/C does not click or try to turn, it's dead

Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Yep, sounds like the clutch is toasted, depending on how the compressor is they may replace the whole compressor or the clutch, all depends on how the clutch is assembled.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Yep, sounds like the clutch is toasted, depending on how the compressor is they may replace the whole compressor or the clutch, all depends on how the clutch is assembled.
Sounds expensive! Global warming sucks!

Attached Thumbnails Need help A/C noise and smoke. What's going on?-wile-e-coyotehelp.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Thank you very much to MazdaTirol for the great feedback, I really appreciate it, everything you mentioned is exactly the same response I got from the Mazda Technician after he finished inspecting the A/C so, I have no other choice than to get it fixed. I purchased this car brand new in 2006 and used the A/C almost every day for 6 years specially in the looong CA summer days and finally, after all this years and 161K miles, the compressor gave up. Well, I guess it lasted long enought but now the bad news from Mazda Service is that the belt and compressor are fried and they both need to be replaced together with "O" rings and clutch. Price including parts and labor, comes up to $1200...OUCH!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 AM

How much are they charging you for the compressor? Rockauto has a re-manufactured one for $368.79 (as of today 9/16/2012) with a $5 core charge, it even comes with the clutch on it. Only issue with making a dealership use parts you supply is they generally will not warranty the work then since its not their part.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:30 PM
Default Same.

This happened to me yesterday, it made weird noises and smoke started pouring out the back of the engine bay.
it is weird because the air-con system still works though it only makes the noise and smoke when the a/c button is on.. I can still use the heater and normal air.
i had my young daughter in the car yesterday when it happened and she was so scared, aha.
any advice please would be appreciated.

Thanks.