Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

In Need of New Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Default In Need of New Tires.

So... Went out last night and don't remember what I drove over that caused my front right tires to leak air. My Dad used the car this morning and told me it was low in air and the sensor came on. He went to the shop and got it filled. The shop said the two front tires were bold and need replacement. I checked it out and noticed there's about less than a half inch thread left and decided to buy new tires over the weekend to have time for research. While driving to work in the morning. The light came back on. Thankfully, I noticed before entering the freeway and a gas station was available. The tire was so bad I can hear air coming out of it. I was upset b/c I was saving up for a mountain bike. Oh well...I find it funny how life gives all sorts of obstacles. At the moment there is a cheap used Michelin tire that I bought from a tireshop. It feels so weird driving now. Anyways, long story short I need new tires. What would you recommend for new tires under $100 per tire range? I noticed a sponsored post about Nitto Motivo... any thoughts? Also, I plan on buying only two tires since it's only FWD. I'll place the new tires in the back.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by eiginh; 06-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Good quality tires for under $100/ea. is liable to be hard these days. However you can get some really great tires for about $120/ea.

I caution you though that running different tires can cause some pretty funky (re: scary) handling/braking under some conditions. I wouldn't do it and do not recommend it.

That mountain bike is not going to do you much good if you can't ride it... and I am assuming you NEED your car. You don;t need the mountain bike. Spend the money where it matters... keeping your car in good, safe operating condition.
That's my advice.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Hey Virgin!

How about if I buy 2 new now and 2 new in a couple of months or so?

Remember the tires that Shipo recommended in my thread awhile back ago "Stability"

Originally Posted by shipo

A quick short list of 205/50 R17 tires on my radar:
  • $131.00 per tire -- Continental ExtremeContactDWS
  • $179.00 per tire -- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
  • $117.00 per tire -- Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)
  • $119.00 per tire -- Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus
Thinking about buying the continental ExtremeContactDWS. I live in Los Angeles where it barely rains and never snows. How bad is it for summer tires driven in wet conditions ? (I.E. puddles, sewer flood, and such).