Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need some help with Exhuast mods on my car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Default Need some help with Exhuast mods on my car.

Car - 09 Mazda 3 S Touring

Possible Mods: Remove stock muffler/Add Flowmaster 44 Super Series Muffler
Remove both resonators and add straight pipe to the header
Maybe replace stock 2'' piping with 2.5'' if not to much costwise.

Tell me what ya think and if i should add a new muffler tip or something and if you could give a rough estimate on how much 2.5'' piping from the muffler to the exhaust header would cost? Thx!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 PM

depends on where you go, a straight piped 4 banger never sounds good. If you want to do a custom setup i suggest 2.25in pipe, vibrant res and borla muffler...if you can afford it. If not then magnaflow res and muffler get the bottle style muffler thats mid way through the exhaust. In order for it to sound good your gonna have to have a resinator, thats a fact.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 PM

I'm pretty much the king on trying to make a custom exhaust on our cars for cheap and some of its not pretty. I can tell you that much...Honestly, I have the Obx header and down pipe combo and its a nightmare...we'll pretty much any header is for a car cuz you are deleting the cat. I can pretty much promise you a CEL and not passing emissions. There are "fixes" to this depending on your state or if you "know somebody" that will pass you.

My set up is this and with all parts/labor pretty close to $500. Obx header and downpipe combo (downpipe is a reasonator btw) 2.5in pipe from the now imaginary first resonator position all the way back with a thrush glass pack muffler Y piped where it comes over the rear axle then over to the other side.

Getting rid of that many restrictions will cause serious lack of back pressure which these cars run better on. However. The pipe the comes out on the right hand side pretty much acts like a vacuum creating my back pressure i need.

See vid, its old and from an old digital camera but you get the idea. Ignore the huge echo off the building i'm by when i floor it =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSaw9OmmRNY

Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Is this a CA emissions car (that has, in this order: 2 Cats, a resonator, a small muffler, and a larger muffler just before the tailpipe)? I had this setup (PA car, but came from a NY dealer where CA emissions are apparently the rule), and removed the last muffler before the tailpipe, as many others have done. It sounds great - sporty with a nice tone, and not too loud. Cost me $40.