Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New Pistons and Rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Default New Pistons and Rods

I'm thinking about getting new pistons and rods for my Mazda 3 auto sedan, http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...mbo_mazda.html
I was curious as to what kind of horsepower gains i would get? if it would affect my engine/warranty negatively? and if there are any problems from anyone who has done it in the past? if you guys could help me out i would really appreciate it

Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Default RE: New Pistons and Rods

well it would void your powertrain warranty...thats for sure...should they be able to fine out you swapped pistons and rods. And I know the gaskets that usually go on the blocks are from mazda...so they would be able to tell work has been done on the engine cause it will have aftermarket gaskets.

There would be no gains from my knowlegde by installed Forged OEM style pistions. But that would seriously beef up your engine enough to use NOS, and make it safer for a turbo or sc install later on.

Only thing i can think of that would help you gain power would to increase the stroke...but thats not possible yet without a skilled machine shop.....or changine the compression ration, but i am sure that would need engine management.

Please post if you do this....and the results, progress.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM

agreed ^^^

your warranty would be voided.
and IMO, unless ur getting a turbo, i wouldnt worry about internals...
spend ur money on a CAI and exhaust instead.... if u dont already have those

Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM

also agreed. if you drop in a new set of pistons and rods, make sure that they drop the compression and are all forged. that is if you want to go turbo. otherwise, i don't see a reason to drop in a new set of pistons and rods.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 AM

well you couldalso increase the bore/stroke for an n/a application as well.....but new injectors and EMS would be needed....that is what i would love for somebody that had the money to do.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

IF you had a stick (mtx) instead of the auto (atx,) I would say that a better way to spend your money would be in a lightweight flywheel and stage1 clutch.They would cost you less than half of what new internals would and improve reaction and acceleration times w/o actually raising the hp of the engine.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM

I have heard (not sure how accurate) that it kinda hurts performance of the mtx off the line with a lighter flywheel and cltuch....and gives alot of vibration....but ti would free up some rotational strain...add a few hp to the wheels.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shalezoom3

I have heard (not sure how accurate) that it kinda hurts performance of the mtx off the line with a lighter flywheel and cltuch....and gives alot of vibration....but ti would free up some rotational strain...add a few hp to the wheels.
Oh, that's pretty accurate. You do lose a little bottom end. Take offs require more right foot and left foot modulation. And mileage can suffer also, but once you get rolling... look out!!

Plus, since rotating mass has been reduced the engine rpms willdropquicker (as well as rise quicker) allowing forfaster shifts.

As far a clutch chatter is concerned, that would be a stageII, III or IV. Not usually recommended for everyday street use.
In StageII you get into higher ratebacklash springs. StageIII often has none at all and a 4 or 6 ceramic, or highly metalized puck style disk. Etc, etc....

StageI is pretty mild. Higher clamping force, better pedal feel, but very little, if anyincrease in pedal firmness (resistance.) It's made much like an OEM, except for higher clamping force.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Good to know...now its for sureon my list for my n/a build up.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM

If you knew how to tear down your engine to bare bones then rebuild....... why the hell do you care about a warrenty??!! If I knew that stuff I'd be damned if I cared about one.

Quick Reply: New Pistons and Rods