Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New Transmission Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Default New Transmission Needed??

My Mazda dealer has told me I need a new transmission in my 2005 Mazda 3 Sport because the Turbine Speed Sensor is shot. The car is shifting rough from 1st to 2nd when cold in the morning if I haven't let it warm up, and the transmission fluid was looking brown, even shortly after having a flush done. My question is - do IHAVE to replace the whole transmission? Or can I get away with replacing just the Turbine Speed Sensor? Might there be repercussions to other parts of the car if I take a gamble on it? They have quoted me $2200 (CDN) for a used tranny and $4000 for a new one - that hurts considering the warranty on the transmission only expired 20,000 km ago! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Default RE: New Transmission Needed??

A) What is your ODO reading?

B) Have you owned the car since new?

C) Have you driven the $#@% out of your car?

D) Is the engine and the rest of the vehicle in excellent running order?

E) Is the exterior perfect?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

First, I would get a second opinion. Take it to a reputable trans shop, or better yet, an independent that doesn"t necessarily specialize in transmissions.
Then if you have all the service records and themaintenance has been kept up with, write to Mazda Canada http://www.mazda.ca/index.asp, see if you can get a meeting w/a district service rep and ask if this is normal and would Mazda consider helping out w/the replacement? Don"t be nasty, but have all your arguments ready.
My mother had the same thin happen to a Honda she owned. 6k miles out of warranty her auto trans went. They replaced it for her for free after speaking tothe Honda Rep. She"s a tough lil" lady though (5'1" and you don"t see it coming. She doesn"t look like she could hurt a fly,) and has good negotiating skills too.
Did you buy the car new? That could have an affect on how they feel about helping you out too.

But if the trans fluid is turning brown, chances are the clutches are breaking down. That's usually a sign of clutch/brake material in the fluid.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 AM

My odometer reading is 124,000, I bought the car new and take really good care of it. I always took it to the dealership for regular maintenance. I have never had any other problems with it - it's been a great car other than this.
I took it in to a transmission shop this morning- they drove it and checked the codes but said that it drove fine and they didn't find any codes (Mazda had cleared them when I had it in the other day...). SO - he recommended I keep driving it until the light comes back on and then they'll have something to go on. It sure makes me nervous to keep driving it waiting for it to break down though...
Thanks for the advice - I will try to talk to Mazda Canada - couldn't hurt I guess!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

That is a fair number of kms (77,000 miles.) I don"t know what kind of help they will offer you since you are that far out of warranty.
On the good side, at least you have been taking it to the dealer for service and have the records, as should they. Shouldn"t they have detected something before this? I might ask them, or wait and ask the DSR if/when you get to talk to him/her.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 PM

V1 makes a good point, a second opinion is a wise path. Repair shops (dealerships) make money executing repairs, meaning its quite tempting for them to recommend work.

If the tranny is not immediately throwing a code, and the only performance issue is the rough shift from 1st to 2nd when cold, I think the odds of a middle of the freeway breakdown are pretty remote.

A question to ask the tranny shop -if it is just the Turbine Speed Sensor (TSS)that is shot (which is what the code should indicate when your light comes on again), can you not replace just the TSS? The TSS I believe is not located inside the tranny, meaning replacing it should not be a huge deal.

Another thought,if the tranny is indeed worn, so what, cars can run well with a slightly gimpy tranny for years. If it is shifting fine 99% of the time, not making a lot of noise, and not leaking fluid, drive on!