Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Talking newbie

Hi new to mazda forums so forgive me if i have posted in the wrong place !

Ok need advice i'm coming from a bm 3 with high miles and i have had to do quite alot of repairs even though there was fsh. The work was not such a prob but the inconvenience and not having supplies to hand made me wary of the brand. So is there anything i should look for every day issues that should be carried out,high milers,fuel (mpg) dos and dont's im thinking of a 2.0 sport saloon.

Any help would be great as we mainly work on german vehicles and there is not alot of Mazda history here.

thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 PM

04, 07, 08, 09, and 10 are the years the most problems occur, mainly squeaks, small noises, mysterious oil consumption, overheating ONCE and never again, ****ty tires, ive just recently came across a couple of ppl having there wires for the maf/iat pulled when an aftermarket cai is installed, so idea how the fk that happened.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 AM

squeaks and noises i can deal with but the oil and over heating has no one got to grips with although i suppose all cars will have an issue at some point.
what about miles and mpg?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 PM

okay i have seen a 2004 76000 miles sport saloon for 4.5k i keep getting told the saloon is pants and hard to resell and the hatch is better any views much appre....

Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Personally, I love my hatch, but that is a personal preference. Many love their sedan/saloons just as much.
The hatch has more room despite being the shorter of the two. The trunk/deck lift-over is high and narrow on the sedan if you asked me.
I do think the hatch looks cooler, but not by a lot.
I have an '04 that's had a few problems:
1) LS Window that clunks because of the hardware used to attach it in that year. Most annoying, but livable.
2) The MAF sensor went bad and was replaced under warranty for me.
3) The fuel purge valve also went bad, right after I was out of warranty. That was $350 including diagnoses, parts and labor.
4) Chips in the paint are fairly common in these early years too.
5) The A/C is said to be weaker (not as strong) on the early cars, and mine is no exception. I knew this going in so its something I live with too.

Other than those things I have had no other problems. Fuel mileage remains fairly constant @ +/-28mpg (5-sp manual.)
The CAI/MAF wiring that Travis refers to is usually when someone does not loosen the tethered harness from the battery box. It is held onto an attached clip with a wire tie. If you cut the tie the harness is much freer to move and flex. I did this and have experienced no problems since installing mine several yrs ago.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tracker
ive just recently came across a couple of ppl having there wires for the maf/iat pulled when an aftermarket cai is installed, so idea how the fk that happened.
Many aftermarket intakes put the MAF plug further away than the OEM intake. If you don't disconnect the wiring loom from where it's attached to the battery box then when the engine flexes during acceleration is can tug on the wires. It can be avoided by releasing the loom from the battery box when installing the intake, or preferably by extending the wiring on the harness. I actually had a broken ground on my MAF and have never done any work on the intake system so it's not completely restricted to those with intakes.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM

get a saloon, who wants a station wagon anyway.....i mean hatch

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

OMFG!!! Jaimie's back, and he's hacked into Travis' user account!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Hey now, don't diss the hatch, we 5-door drivers know what's good, you sedan drivers wouldn't understand.

Anyway, the only problem on my '08 2.3 was the power steering pump went out. Replaced under warranty.
The electric motor went bad in the pump causing it to sieze, Mazda has had many complaints and repairs due to this fail to do anything about it.

Other than that, besides the tires, it's been a sweet ride.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM

ok im gonna get one convinced

Quick Reply: newbie