Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Nitrogen Filled Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Default Nitrogen Filled Tires.

When I bought my new '08 I was informed that it had nitrogen filled tires, which was new to me. Are there pros and cons about the nitrogen that you all know about? The main question I have is, can I put regular ol' AIR in them without removing the nitrogen?, or do I have to go and pay for the gas?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires.

I think they sold you a bill 'o' goods, unless your dealer does it themselves to every new car they get in... which I doubt?
Nitrogen is more stable than regular compressed air becausenitrogen molecules are larger, therefore do not leak through porous materials, such as cast aluminum wheels, as fast as compressed air would.
Some also claim that because it is more stable, that tire pressures remain equal and more stable through the entire heat/cooling cycle we put them through every time we drive.
Other claims are that because nitrogen is dryer than compressed air that it reduces the derogation of the tire/rubber from the inside where most dry rotting begins in tires.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM

Virgin 1 is right. Nitrogen does have its advantages but I doubt a dealer would go to the trouble and expense of puttingit in the tires of every car they sell. You're certainly not stuck using it forever though. As far as I know there is no harm in replacing it with air.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

That is my understanding as well.... Sorry for not answering your initial question. What can I say? I got side-tracked.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:37 PM

I have nitrogen in my tires as well. If you plan on putting air in them, be sure to completely drain all of the air out of them. If I were you, I would go to your local tire shop and make sure there is nitrogen in there, and if there is, have them drain it anyway and have THEM fill it. If it's anything like Tire Barn here in Lafayette, once you pay for them to put it in the first time, it's free from then on. I will always use nitrogen from now on, seeings how I noticed a HUGE increase in gas mileage, it went from 18 in the city to 24 or so, and from 24 highway to 30 or so.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM

As far as I know they put the Nitrogen in all of the new Mazdas, at least the 3's. What is the harm in puting air in right behind of the nitrogen? It was no extra cost and they acted like it was something they are doing on a regular basis now. Also I've heard it will not flux as much with the change of seasons (especially here in Illinois).

Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 PM

Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 PM

What is the harm of puttingair in right behind of the nitrogen. They acted like using it in all of there Mazda's was no big deal to them. It was no extra charge so I just went with it. I've also heard it will not flux as much between hot and cold seasons, which is a big deal here in Illinois.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 PM

IIRC, what they told me was that it changes the density of the nitrogen, making it not do what it's supposed to as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM

went from 18 in the city to 24 or so, and from 24 highway to 30 or so.
I don't buy that. Not from just changing the air in your tires to nitrogen. Maybe from a more efficient tire design and properly inflated tires but not from just switching to nitrogen.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires.