Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Noisy Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Default Noisy Brakes?

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 S sport. Recently the brakes have been making weird nosies. When I have my foot firmly on the brake and switch from park to reverse or to drive there is a weird grinding type noise. The dealership said that this is due to the brake calipers shifting but I am not convinced! Also, when I let off my brake from a complete stop, there is a noise like the brake pads are possibly sticking a little or something? I'm not sure how to describe it.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM

I think you need to find a different shop, and SOON, that is definitely NOT normal. I've never heard of such a thing as the "calipers shifting".........

The only thing I can think of that comes even close is when I had my '07 3, which was parked outside, the rotors would sometimes get some surface rust overnight when it rained or was very humid. Backing down the driveway first thing in the AM would sometimes result in some odd noises, but as soon as you used the brakes once or twice it went away.

My guess is that you have a loose part on a caliper or other part of the brake assembly, really worn out pads, a stuck caliper (probably would be obvious as the brake would overheat and you would smell it), or some foreign debris stuck in the rotor or caliper assembly.

I'd suggest getting it up on jacks or a lift and get a close look at it right away, it should be fairly easy to diagnose with a good visual inspection.

Last edited by Mark56; 10-27-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 AM

Yeah I plan of lifting my car and checking my calipers and and brake pads ASAP!
Mazda doesn't seem to have the best service, or at least the ones around here. I think that there is either a) my rotor or caliper assembly is dirty, or have something in them, or b) a loose part! Maybe some worn pads but I don't think so? Thanks for all the help!