Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

OIL FILTER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Default OIL FILTER QUESTION

PLEASE ANYBODY!!!!!!.......I JUST BOUGHT A 2006 MAZDA3 BUT.......[:@]WHERE IS THE OIL FILTER? HOW CAN I GET TO IT? FROM THE BOTTOM OR TOP?...DON'T THINK BECAUSE I'M A WOMEN I CAN'TDO MY OWN OIL CHANGE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS. VERONICA[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Default RE: OIL FILTER QUESTION

That one hung me up at first as well. It's right above the rear edge of the cover that is attached to the underside of the front end behind the bumper. You have to remove the cover (at least that is the case with the Speed3) to reach the filter -- about 6 screws in all. Quite a PITA.

Also, you don't change the filter body; only the element. You wil need a special tool to unscrew the filter body. Maybe someone else here willgive more details, as I have only watched the mechanic do it on my car so far.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:03 PM

According to my local Mazda Dealer, the "special tool" needed is a $6.00 oil filter wrench PartNoA251. It can be use in the Mazda M3 and M6

Old 01-22-2007, 04:09 PM

allen wrench worked to get it off the old 3-havn't tried this with the ms3-was planning to take her to the dealer for for all service..I like creating paper trails with special cars like the MS3....

Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM

It's a small hurdle to remove the plastic plating under the filter but I think that material goes a long way to keep things clean and relatively well protected from rocks and other flying debris. The filter housing alsoremoves easily with a small strap stylewrench, purchasable at most auto stores. But if Mazda sells their "special" tool for $6, I'm on my way there now. GOOD LUCK.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 AM

[:@]GRRRR!!I still can't get to the oil filter because ICAN NOTfind it looking from the top or bottom of the engine. DAMIT!!!!!!!I had a few reply to my question but I really don't understand what they are trying to say in order to get to the oil filter. COME ON GUYS!!!! there most be a simple way to explain to a dumb women like mehow to get to the oil filter on the 2006 MAZDA3 (2.3) I bought it used and I want to replace filter and change oil. I don't want to take it to the Dealer becausehave been doing itby my self in all my cars until now. I like to use my favorite brand of oil. Its driving me nuts!!!...[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-23-2007, 01:30 PM

[sm=signs007.gif]I FINALLY FUND IT!! The oil filter for the 2006 Mazda3 (2.3) is located UNDER the engine and notat theTOP likethe manual shows.
Get under the car and remove the six screws holding theprotective 24"x 20"plastic panel or shieldcovering the bottom of the engine and......[sm=yeahsmile.gif]VOILA!!You'll see the filter at the front near the driver side wheel. You can also see it with the panel on thru a small opening rightunder wherethe filter is located.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:49 PM

Congrats!! I have actaullty never seen the cartridge the 2.3L's have, but good to see you have.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Look here for more info: http://www.mazda6tech.com/articles/h...7&Itemid=1

Darryl

Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Please tell me my new 07 Mazda3 sport DOES NOT have a cartridge type oil filter? What in the hell....I am going to have a look see.....

Quick Reply: OIL FILTER QUESTION