Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Oily moily

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM

So I did a very dumb thing and put 6 quartz by accident. The oil level is about 1.5 centimeters above the "high" mark level. The car felt a little flooded when I drove it this morning. Is it wise to leave it alone or dump the oil? If I was to dump the oil, what would be the best way without dumping all the oil out?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by eiginh
So I did a very dumb thing and put 6 quartz by accident. The oil level is about 1.5 centimeters above the "high" mark level. The car felt a little flooded when I drove it this morning. Is it wise to leave it alone or dump the oil? If I was to dump the oil, what would be the best way without dumping all the oil out?
You definitely need to get that extra quart out of there. Overfilling by a few ounces is no big deal, overfilling by 32 ounces is a very big deal and can ruin your engine.

As for getting the oil out, you have two options:
  • Open up the drain plug (preferably when the engine is cold) and drain a quart into a measuring cup, and then put the plug back in. This is going to get a bit messy.
  • Use an oil extractor and suck the oil out via the dipstick tube (which is how I always change my oil, my drain plug has never been out of the engine).

Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Where can I buy an oil extractor?

Last edited by eiginh; 03-21-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Where can I buy an oil extractor?
I've been using the "Big Pela 650" for the last 12 years; it can be seen here (near the bottom of the page): Quick, Easy & Clean Oil Changes with PELA Products

The Pela web site also has a link called "Where to buy - Contact us".

Amazon carries the Pela product line; they carry the Mityvac product line as well.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 AM

If you have the cartridge type oil filter, it may be easier to drain from the center plug there... i'm sure it'd drain slower than the main drain plug, so hopefully be less of a mess.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM

Wow, buying an oil extractor is basically another oil change! I will dump some oil out over the weekend since it would be faster than waiting for the shipment and cheaper...

The oil filter is a spin-off. I wonder if it'll be slower draining it out this way but the circumference of the oil filter is bigger than the circumference of the oil plug... So it would make sense that oil will drain faster if drained from oil filter.

I did a little research regarding the consequences of having too much oil. Two things are very concerning...
1. Blowing out the engine seals
2. Car overheating

I really do notice that my car is sluggish. I'm guessing this is due to the crankshaft overworking through too much oil. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

What steps should I take in terms of driving the vehicle until I can get rid of the excess oil?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Wow, buying an oil extractor is basically another oil change! I will dump some oil out over the weekend since it would be faster than waiting for the shipment and cheaper...

The oil filter is a spin-off. I wonder if it'll be slower draining it out this way but the circumference of the oil filter is bigger than the circumference of the oil plug... So it would make sense that oil will drain faster if drained from oil filter.

I did a little research regarding the consequences of having too much oil. Two things are very concerning...
1. Blowing out the engine seals
2. Car overheating

I really do notice that my car is sluggish. I'm guessing this is due to the crankshaft overworking through too much oil. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

What steps should I take in terms of driving the vehicle until I can get rid of the excess oil?
Blowing out the engine seals and overheating are the least of your concerns when it comes to an overfilled crankcase. The biggest issue is that the crank shaft throws and the bottom of the connecting rods splash through the oil on every rotation; once or twice isn't a big deal, but several thousand times per minute? Yes, that's a big deal. In relatively short order the oil starts to foam with billions of air bubbles, and trust me, foamy oil is NOT a good lubricant for your engine. Spun bearings and scored cylinder walls are the usual result.

Edit: think about the frequency of the splashing this way; you have four cylinders which means four times per rotation the crank throw impacts the oil and cuts through it leaving a trail of air. Most of the air escapes but some is trapped in the form of bubbles. At idle this happens nearly fifty times per second, at freeway speeds we're talking more like two-hundred times per second, and at high RPM we're talking more than four-hundred times per second.

Last edited by shipo; 03-22-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 PM

In that case, it would be wise to shift at 2.5K RPM and avoid freeways.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 AM

In that case, it would be wise to shift at 2.5K RPM and avoid freeways.
No, that wouldn't be wise at all; in fact, even starting the engine wouldn't be wise. Get the extra oil out of there before your next trip.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM

I meant to say is to drive softly until I'm able to drain the oil tomorrow...

Quick Reply: Oily moily