Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Opinion on wheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Ex.
Default Opinion on wheel upgrade

Hello all. I'm buying some new wheels to replace the stock steelies, and I wanted to hear you guys' opinions on what I'm considering. I did some looking and I found a few that look good to me, but seeing how this is my first time buying wheels, I can't really visualize how well they really will look. Also, I don't the brands very well. Any input is appreciated.

F16 GLOSS BLACK/RED RIM by FOCAL
42 Inch F16 GLOSS BLACK/RED RIM by FOCAL WHEELS - Big Rims for your 2012 MAZDA MAZDA3 I - Starting from $117.00 Featuring 8 SPOKE, Free Warranty and Free Freight - Wheels and Rims from Performance Plus Tire

302MB VORTEX MACHINED WHEEL by DRIFZ
42 Inch 302MB VORTEX MACHINED WHEEL by DRIFZ WHEELS - Big Rims for your 2012 MAZDA MAZDA3 I - Starting from $122.00 Featuring MULTI SPOKE, Free Warranty and Free Freight - Wheels and Rims from Performance Plus Tire

REVENGE ANTHRACITE by MOMO
42 Inch OTHER COLORS Finish REVENGE ANTHRACITE by MOMO WHEELS - Big Rims for your 2012 MAZDA MAZDA3 I - Starting from $125.00 Featuring MULTI SPOKE, Free Warranty and Free Freight - Wheels and Rims from Performance Plus Tire

NOTCH 424 SATIN BLACK RIM by FOCAL
+42 Inch NOTCH 424 SATIN BLACK RIM by FOCAL WHEELS - Big Rims for your 2012 MAZDA MAZDA3 I - Starting from $112.00 Featuring 10 SPOKE, Free Warranty and Free Freight - Wheels and Rims from Performance Plus Tire

MARATHON 401 SATIN BLACK by PLATINUM
+42 Inch MARATHON 401 SATIN BLACK by PLATINUM WHEELS - Big Rims for your 2012 MAZDA MAZDA3 I - Starting from $114.00 Featuring MULTI SPOKE, Free Warranty and Free Freight - Wheels and Rims from Performance Plus Tire

Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned

Unless your car is black, do not buy black rims. I definitely do not like the red around the 1 rim. Seen them on a car already.
My preference is the REVENGE ANTHRACITE by MOMO. 1 thing unique about that rim is the very outside of the rim (closest to tire) is broken up. That is cool.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Ex.

Sorry, forgot to mention, the car is black.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

I still don't like black rims. I guess i'm prejudiced!
However, Black rims do work on black cars. I am not changing my mind.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Ex.

To be honest, I prefer gunmetal > black. But I have my heart set on a set of gunmetal Tenzos when I eventually upgrade to 18 in. wheels later down the road. This is just to hold me over for now and to eventually become my winter wheel set. I do keep coming back to the Momo and Drifz, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have time to check out all your wheel choices right now. 'Will try to get to them later.
But what I did notice is that you are looking specifically @ +42mmoffset wheels. Are you aware that the factory offset for all years 3series is +52.5mm?
It can be done but that's quite a difference and may cause some wear and steering angle/scrub difficulties.
May I suggest looking more at the +45 - +48mm range?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

The other concern I would have is wheel weight. Unfortunately this site doesn't list weights.
The OE 16" alloys weigh in around 18.8lbs. You might want to keep that in mind.

As far as styles available on the site you're looking at, I kinda' like these for a black car:

http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...elDataID/99736

But again there's that pesky +42mm offset and we don't know how much they weigh.

Last edited by virgin1; 05-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Ex.

To be honest, I only thought about and knew the tire/wheel size and width. I didn't know anything about width or offset. Now that I do know (and this is exactly why I use forums), I've changed up my choices. I also went to Tire Rack which lists weights and seems to have better prices:

Kazera KZ-I Black Painted

Enkei Performance T-Fork Machined w/Anthracite Accent

Rial Murago Bright Satin Sil Paint

Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 AM

the 2012 have a +50 offset and the oem 16" alloys weigh 18.97lbs.
I have spend the last month contacting companies and the company you are dealing with in the first post was very helpful.
Give them a call and ask them the weight. They were very helpful... That is where I plan on buying my rims

Last edited by Mazda3UR; 05-05-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Cool! Thanks for the photo Mr. Keith.
While they're a very reputable company to do business with, TireRack charges for shipping which can add up to quite a bit these days. On the other hand along with the wheels, they "give" you a lugs/lug wrench and center ring package so they will fit right out of the box.
Performance Plus offers free shipping but you must buy the rest.
I wonder which would be the better deal?

Quick Reply: Opinion on wheel upgrade