Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Paint Protector - Worth it or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Paint Protector - Worth it or Not?

yeah, i dont like the idea of buying a paint protection plan like that. hell, chevrolet offers the same exact plan but for 200 bucks.

just such a waste of money if you think about it.... unless you are in new york where the pigeons sh*t on your car every 10 minutes.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:03 PM

do what i did and buy the over priced exhaust

Old 03-20-2006, 01:43 PM

Generally anything added on after the purchase of the vehicle is simply for customer "peace of mind". Most of the things you add on at this point never come into play while you own the vehicle anyways.

Given that most people trade their vehicles in on a 3-5 year cycle, you are never going to have a car rust out on you. The extended warranty is often used as a barganing chip when trading in your vehicle instead of protecting yourself long term.

If you are in the financial position to buy/lease another vehicle within 5 years, I strongly recommend just walking into the F&I (Financing & Insurance) office and setting up your payments or getting the final bill of sale to take to your bank. Anything you add on at this point will just up your montly payment and you will never see any returns from it when trade in time comes.

They will always agressively try to sell you all of these add on's simply because these add on's are 100% + profit items for the dealer. Factory options might only be 5% profit, but the after sale items are marked up a minimum of 100%. For example my dealership listed window tint at $350 (canadian) and locking wheel nuts at $75. I can go anywhere in town and get my windows tinted for $200 cash and I can pick those same wheel locks up at any tire shop for $25-30.

If you insist on having your vehicle rust proofed, I would suggest that you go directly to the rust proofing place after you buy the vehicle and save yourself the mark up. 9 times out of 10 the dealer sends your car out (or has the company come in) to have these services performed and simply marks up the price.

Hope this helps!

Kev

Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 PM

im different then cuz i come from familey that keeps cars till they die or keep breaking down
and plus once i make my car uniquely mine, and different from other cars you see on the road, theres no way i can give it away it becomes a part of me

Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 PM

Well, I got a paint protector on for just around $200-$250 SGD. It works for scratches you get when on the road. Bird poo? Leave it on long enough and it will eat through any protection!

What's the best way? Wash regularly. Wax once a year. That's my 2-cents worth....

Cheers,
Arch

Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM

You know, it may sound silly, but i wash my car once a week, and wax it once 2 weeks period or at least max once a month, why? i have experienced a better paint protection waxing my old Corolla once a week, yes it sounds crazy but i did it, and paint looks somewhat like new on the sun, very noticible, and protected it well. But the plan to me is a waste of money, I appritiate the money i have spend for the car and i will appretiate the fact that it is mine and i will take a good care of it in any means myself.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:00 PM

hell... i bet your car loves you haha! I wax my car every max every 2 months. I've always enjoyed detailing my vehicle... i have for numerous years (despite different vehicles throughout those years).

results show that for even the crappiest of waxes, you can get out about 5 washes before you notice the wax start to break down. Thats why i don't obsess with waxing that much. Since I use a better wax proven to hold at least 15 washes before wax detereoration (spelling?), i can slack off and not worry much. Keep in mind that i do consider wet snow and rain a wash every time so that counts as 1 wash less on the wax job.

Carnuba Wax!

Old 04-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Carnuba WAX 100% UP agree with you, and here in florida rains alot during summer, so because of this have to keep the paint protected. But you know what, I kinda never thought that after a wash the wax slightly comes off, I know it makes me look dummy but to me washing wash to keep the dirt and all this Bird S**T of my car, and waxing makes it easier to wash the car when its dirty. Oh well, will keep it in mind that washing takes it off. Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM

glad to help you out there man... i know exactly what you mean... and your rains can be pretty vicious at times (especially with all of that nice salt water you have surrounding you. not good for the car!

Old 04-10-2006, 03:46 PM

Do not get it! im used to sell cars for toyota, nissan, othre companies.

those are just gimmicks. all they do is wax your car everynow and then i believe every 6 months they send you a letter to comein for your "paint protection" its not worth it. that package in reality costs like 250 at the most.

any extras in the finance office dont get.

i DO HIGHLY recommend you get the "GAP INSURANCE"