Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Paint is rusting

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Default Paint is rusting

Has anyone had a problem with the paint on a Mazda 3. My grilfriend purchased one a month ago and the first tim I washed it after about two week I noticed these white but very small spot on the paint. I didn't think much of it but then the next time I wa**** I noticed more of the same spots. I called the dealer and took it in. One of the painters in the body shop said that the car had been around some one shaving metal and that the shavings apparently landed on the car. Anyway Mazda called corporate and they came back with the answer that its a result of pollution. can you beleive that. Thus to my point; has anyone experienced problem with the paint on tghier cars. There were also a few in the showroom that had very similar spots in their paint.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Paint is rusting

Pollution can cause damage to paint but should not be that bad on a vehicle of that age. One of the most common sources of metal shavings as they called them is from rail dust. A train is often used to transport vehicles from port or factory and the metal wheels contacting the metal tracks creates a very fine metallic powder that can gets on finish. Our detail shop checks all new vehicles for this rail dust and reports and repairs damage as needed. Is more often seen on the trucks and tribute models though. Are they going to repair finish under warranty?

Old 09-01-2005, 08:06 PM

They have not mention doing anything and we did not purchase that paint protection plan, being it is a new car. Thanks for your reply also,

Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 PM

Talked to our detail dept that handles paint and finish work today. They said that either an 'acid' or 'clay' wash treatment should remove the spots if they are due to water or airborne pollution. Car repaint should not be needed unless is very severe damage. Are there factories in your area that create a lot of airborne pollution? If so it would probably be a good idea to have the paint protection. We use VikingShield and is guaranteed for 5 years at cost of $199. Not bad protection coverage for the price. If you do, make sure the dealer removes the spots before or they will be sealed in for good. They should be able to cover the cleaning under warranty as vehicle is only a month old.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the information again, I truely apprciate your time and responses. I live in the Washington DC area there are no factories in the part of Virginia I am living, which makes this even more ridiculas that they would say it's pollution. Take that and the age of the vehicle and they seem to have lost thier minds or beleive I have. The truely ironic thing is that my girl works for a law firm that handels all manners of environmental issuesand plans to speak with one of the attorneys there. I'll keep you posted on the progress, and thanks again.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 PM

ITS ACTUALLY BRAKE DUST!!!!!

TRAIN BRAKE DUST AND AUTO TRANSPORT DUST!!!!!

IF THE [PDI] WAS DONE CORRECTLY AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE YOU WOULD NOT HAVE THIS ON YOUR PAINT.

HAVE THE VEHICLE POLISHED...THIS SHOULD REMOVE THESE FOREIGN ITEMS.