Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Painting Mazda Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Default Painting Mazda Emblems

I was wondering what the best to remove my "mazda3" and the mazda symbol badges on the rear of my 3, i want to paint them black, so my plan is to remove them and then go get some 3m adhesive backing and put them back on.. any help or input on this would be appreciated

Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Painting Mazda Emblems

The 3 is stuck on w/3M style molding tape, so it needs to be warmed and peeled.
The MazdaandWinged emblems are stuck on too, but they are also pinned. The Wing has pins on either side, the Mazda has 3 IIRC.
Warm them and carefully "explore."I used a smooth edged interior tool w/a rag against the painted surfaces to pry them up the first time.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

You can use fishing line or dental floss. Just work it behind the badge and saw back and forth to cut through the orignal adhesive. It helps if it's warm so if you have a heat gun then that could help out. The flying M logo has two pins holding it in, as does the "mazda" part. The "3" is just glued on.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I have found the fishingline method to leave a lot more adhesive to clean up, but a lot of owners do it that way.
Same w/the side molding.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM

FYI....they will peel over time. I know how to paint and prepped my emblems perfectly (even wearing gloves to prevent skin oil contamination, used adhesion promoter, etc.) Looked great for awhile, but over time they started to peel.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yup! Ya' got that right, Pilgrim.

I know how to paint too and took all those precautions you just listed and more and still, last year I painted mine4 times. I give up!! If there were a more permanent solution (i.e. anodizing) perhaps I'd do it again, but I think I've learned my lesson.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

^^ Can you anodize plastic? Also to those of you who have peeling problems did you scuff the original surface or did you remove it? The silver stuff is a two part electroplating and can been eaten totally off of the plastic by soaking it in a bleach bath for about a week. Check HERE for details on that process.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Nope, as I found out, you can't anodize plastic, and most won't attempt trying it over the chrome plating either.
The paint I've been using is transparent and therefore uses the chrome underneath to pop.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Nope, as I found out, you can't anodize plastic, and most won't attempt trying it over the chrome plating either.
The paint I've been using is transparent and therefore uses the chrome underneath to pop.

Well that's what you get. Preparation preparation preparation. :P

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM

Ok, so let me get this strait. I want to debadge my wife's car as well. I wanted to take the mazda 3 south of the back, and maybe replace the 2.3 on the sides with M 3...

are you saying the side badges and mazda on the back are pined?.. meaning if i take them off i'll have 2 big holes???

Quick Reply: Painting Mazda Emblems