Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Pictures of your aftermarket shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Default Pictures of your aftermarket shift ****

Hi guys. Just became a proud owner of a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring last night. I'd like to replace the stock shift **** with a nice aftermarket one. Mine is a manual tranny by the way.

For those of you who have replaced your stock shift ****, can you post pictures of your aftermarket ones and let me know where you bought it? I'd like some ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 AM

I searched before posting but couldn't really find any pictures of new shift ***** installed. Anyone?

Old 10-03-2009, 01:57 AM

i dont think anyone has even started to modding the 2010 3 yet, based on what ive looked at though most of the dimensions are the same with previous years

Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 AM

Hopefully the first after market mod is a new front end. lol

Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Oh OK. It doesn't have to be a 2010 model though. As long as the aftermarket **** fits it. Anyone with an older model that has changed the ****? I've seen a few on ebay but I'm not sure if they'll fit or not and sometimes the return policies are not the best.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:55 PM

eh, i would try protegegarage.com for something that will more likely be a direct fit, ebay items such as those are more on the universal side so its more than just take off your old one and put the new one on, i will tell you to not breakdown and get a pepboys, autozone, advanced auto etc pos raicetastic *****. Real shifter ***** made with quality will cost a little more than expected

Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/
I'm sure these would all be a direct fit for the '10 as well as earlier models, but they are pricey and metal. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Basically, any **** with 10mm x 1.25mm internal threading should fit.

Found another: http://www.monsterknobs.com/mazdashiftknobs.html

Oh, and here's mine on top of the TWM short shifter:
Name:  1418W.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  80.6 KB

I thought I had a better picture of it, and unfortunately it is a universal, but I like the way it feels. It's slightly heavier than the OE, but I would like it to be heavier.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-04-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM

rich did you seriously get that from pepboys?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Auto Zone, actually. Yup. It was $20 at the time and as I had indicated, I wish it were a "custom" fit instead of a universal. But I like the way it feels in my hand, I didn't want to spend +/-$100 on a TWM or other "heavyweight" **** that was all metal. I had one once and hated how it would NEVER warm up in the winter and if the sun beat down on it, was too hot to handle in the summer... and that was when I still lived in Pa where the sun isn't nearly as menacing as it is here.
My wife liked it so much that she had me get one for her car too!!
The fake CF covering is almost all gone now, which is fine w/me. Its still slightly heavier than OE and still feels good to my hand, and I have seen them more recently for well UNDER $20. A relative bargain, imho.
I may yet replace it one day, but I can be very patient when I know what I want.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM

Is that a mouse pad you have on the side? LOL, what an ingenious idea to keep your knee comfortable.

I removed the factory **** on my 2010 Mazda 3 and it's a lot easier to do than I thought. You just unscrew and screw back in place. So it's 10mm x 1.25mm internal threading? I'll see what I can find.

Quick Reply: Pictures of your aftermarket shift knob