Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

A Pillar Trim Removal for Dash Cam: 2016 Toyota Scion iA (Mazda 2 by another name)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 02:57 PM
Question A Pillar Trim Removal for Dash Cam: 2016 Toyota Scion iA (Mazda 2 by another name)

Hi Mazda forums,

I own a 2016 Toyota Scion iA which was manufactured by Mazda at pretty much all levels. I have heard it said that outside of the US the Scion iA was marketed as the Mazda 2. I am trying to find a guide on how to remove the A-Pillar trim, but none of the other Toyota models are comparable. I have been told the CX-3's, Mazda3's, and Yaris's are the best matches.

I bought a Viofo Pro Duo A129 Dash cam with the front and back cam. Trying to install the hardwire kit under the headliner and down to the fuse box in the driver footwell. Any advice for removing the A Pillar trim? I have heard it may have airbags and it is better to disconnect the battery before attempting to remove. I have tried to do this with the trim removal tool that comes with the dash-cam, but it is a cheap plastic thing and can't grip.

I believe this is the piece I am seeking to remove. I have seen other Toyota's in youtube clips remove this piece by pulling using hand strength to get the A-Pillar out an inch then use needle-nose pliers to disconnect the clips from the frame to remove the A-Pillar the rest of the way. I am not sure if if I am just too timid or what, but I cannot do this when I try I feel like I am going to force it and break a clip.

Additionally, if there is also advice on removing the trim in the 2016 Scion iA footwell to allow me better access to the fuse box, that would be appreciated.