Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

problem with my power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Angry problem with my power steering

i have a mazda 3 hb 2010. i am having a power steering problem. the power steering light and traction control lights came on two weeks ago. i took it in to mazda and they had for five days and they couldn't find anything wrong. i'm very upset about that. however i am having a issue that hasn't been solved yet. when i turn the steering wheel i can hear the power steering pump running. its louder then usual. i have never heard the noise in the beginning but after two months i started to hear it. it seams to get louder and louder. i took it to mazda and they said there is nothing wrong with it. i actually went to mazda yesterday and asked them to let me test drive one of the new ones and of course, i didn't hear anything. i even made one of the salesman to sit with me in the car and he even said its louder in my car. i'm going to take my car in next week, this willl be the 4th time going to the shop since i had my car, which is 3 months.

is anyone else experiencing this problem/ this car has been a piece of **** to me.

any solution/

thank you

Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 PM

common problem with 07+ there is a recall for it they should of told you that, if they are not willing to do it find another mazda dealer, all you can do

Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slee1488
this car has been a piece of **** to me.
any solution/
thank you

I think you are overreacting. A power steering pump by itself does not a bad car make. It sounds like you dealer is the REAL problem.
Please, sit down for a minute and take a deep breath. The power steering pump, as Tracker indicated, is a known issue. Because there is no "current" recall on the 2010's, your dealer is trying to protect themselves and Mazda from litigation. Be persistent, do not be emotional and you will get the problem resolved. Then you will be happy with the car.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker
common problem with 07+ there is a recall for it they should of told you that, if they are not willing to do it find another mazda dealer, all you can do
yea i know about the recall and i mentioned it. no use. i will find another mazda dealer and try that. thx

Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker
Hmmm, I wasn't aware that the Power Steering issue affected 2010 and later models.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

I think you are overreacting. A power steering pump by itself does not a bad car make. It sounds like you dealer is the REAL problem.
Please, sit down for a minute and take a deep breath. The power steering pump, as Tracker indicated, is a known issue. Because there is no "current" recall on the 2010's, your dealer is trying to protect themselves and Mazda from litigation. Be persistent, do not be emotional and you will get the problem resolved. Then you will be happy with the car.

yea.. don't get me wrong i love the car. this power steering issue is just bugging the crap out of me. a new car doing this and i have to keep going back to the dealership. i have a full time job so its very inconvenient. but thx for the reply. hopefully i can get this issue resolved soon.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:55 PM

I would hope they fixed the problems with the '10.
The other problem people fail to realize is, that with these electric power steering pumps, there is a whine to them. And they get worried about it but the sound is normal.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

I thought about that too. But the OP stated that the noise is/has gotten louder, and that when driving the new car it was not even noticeable.

There is a robotic whine or whir to the steering system and it is more noticeable when stopped or driving slow because the system is asked to work harder in those situations. That doesn't sound like the case here.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
I would hope they fixed the problems with the '10.
The other problem people fail to realize is, that with these electric power steering pumps, there is a whine to them. And they get worried about it but the sound is normal.

yea virgin1 is correct. i know there is a whine noise but its gotten louder. i went to the dealership and compared my car with the new one in the lot, and there is a difference. you have to keep it in mind that a week after i started to hear the noise the power steering light and traction control light came on. which means there is something wrong with it. i thought i was over reacting about the noise but i had my salesman and friends tell me its loud. even when im driving up to park they can hear the whine. that is not normal.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM

I have always been able to hear the PS pump, inside and outside of the car.
Both with the old pump and the new pump.

Just what type of noise is it, the same noise only louder than normal, or a different noise?

Quick Reply: problem with my power steering