Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

problem with my power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by slee1488
well hopefully the noise wont come back for you b/c its very annoying. Electric power steering is **** if it suppose to make noises like this. I took it to mazda and nothing wrong with the car once again. bastards.. one year, i'm gonna trade in my car and get another brand. not satisfied with my purchase..
For what it's worth, my 07 Mazda 2.3, has been whining/howling almost
from birth, still working, hasn't gotten worse and Mazda says no problem.
It's still hydraulic assisted power steering with the pump driven by an
electric motor instead of engine belt driven. But that should not cause
the noise or else your AC/heater or fan motors might make a similar noise.
Mazda went on to tell me that after the recall fix, for failed power steering,
the replaced/repaired pumps were still making the same noise. So go figure.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Your PS is gonna make a different noise than you A/C or heater. Your heater blower is a blower/fan, your PS is a PUMP, running fluid.

Pumps make a different noise, especially electric ones.

And Electric PS is S*** cause it sounds different? Thats like saying diesel engines are junk cause they make a different noise than gasoline engines.

Trust me, as many hydraulic pumps that I've been around, it's gonna make noise.

And it's the same way with a regular PS system, you turn your wheel while the vehicle is not moving, your engine bogs down just a little bit. But running off your engine has a lot more HP than a little electric motor, so hence it's gonna make noise.

Not to come off as rude, but, shut up and deal with the friggin noise.

Last edited by apbbnbanb_07; 12-02-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Easy Boys. It's not the end of the world... yet.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
Your PS is gonna make a different noise than you A/C or heater. Your heater blower is a blower/fan, your PS is a PUMP, running fluid.

And Electric PS is S*** cause it sounds different? Thats like saying diesel engines are junk cause they make a different noise than gasoline engines.

And it's the same way with a regular PS system, you turn your wheel while the vehicle is not moving, your engine bogs down just a little bit. But running off your engine has a lot more HP than a little electric motor, so hence it's gonna make noise.

Well, you are rude. If you read, the point I was trying to make is that,
it's not the electric motor on the Mazda hydraulic pump making the noise.
The noise is not normal, it wasn't there when the car was new, so really
don't know what kinda pumps you have been around. Suggest you direct
your hostility at Mazda and tell them to deal with the "friggin" noise.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Haha, it's all in fun and games, sorry for being an a$$.

Anyway, almost every hydraulic pump I have ever been around, and have been around quite a few being from a production/manufacturing backround, they all make a high pitch whine, just like the PS systems in these cars.

It's a small electric motor, running a hydraulic pump=whine.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I thank you for apologizing, Alex, and would ask that John-John accept it.
Yes, you (Alex) were being a bit harsh, especially w/someone that may not yet know your sense of humor.
But THIS Mazda site is known for "friendly" disagreements and generally just picking on each other (my trailer hitch comes to mind, and besides, its a "guy thing") not out-an-out flame wars.
I, for one, would like to keep it that way.

Thank you both in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:28 AM

Haha, it's all in fun and games, sorry for being an a$$.

Anyway, almost every hydraulic pump I have ever been around, and have been around quite a few being from a production/manufacturing backround, they all make a high pitch whine, just like the PS systems in these cars.

It's a small electric motor, running a hydraulic pump=whine.
Originally Posted by virgin1

I thank you for apologizing, Alex, and would ask that John-John accept it.
Yes, you (Alex) were being a bit harsh, especially w/someone that may not yet know your sense of humor.
But THIS Mazda site is known for "friendly" disagreements and generally just picking on each other (my trailer hitch comes to mind, and besides, its a "guy thing") not out-an-out flame wars.
I, for one, would like to keep it that way.

Thank you both in advance for your cooperation in this matter.
At ease, no sweat. It's actually John, but if John_John suites you, ok
with me. Like i said the noise is there, has been, and not getting any
worse. So hope Alex is right on electric/hydraulic=whine.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 AM

The noise on mine just started. Is it normal?? If normal why didn't it start when new?
I too have been around Electric Hydraulic pumps. Even the ones on airplanes don't have the whine as the one on my Mazda.
Guess I need to shut up but I don't like a smart *** that sits behind a computer screen and trolls.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Again, I ask you all to settle down.
This is a forum for discussion, information and friendship, not to sling arrows.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 AM

haha good point there. I'm not offended or anything but what you have describe is common sense to ppl who knows about cars. I know a thing or two about cars. The thing is I bought this car for 22k and this is my first vehicle purchase with my own hard earn money. Just disappointed about the loud humming noise i hear from a brand new car. I should of done more research before i bought it. However the reason i brough this problem to this forum is b/c not only the noise i started to hear after 2months but my power steering going out on me while i was driving. the power steering light and traction control light came on. The dealership could not find anything wrong, all they said was "we can see that the light came on but we don't know why" That is very upsetting. A new car, it has been to the shop 4 times, 3 different problems. I'm just probably over reacting but just disappointed. I love the car but I just disappointed.

Quick Reply: problem with my power steering