Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Question for Mazda 3 Owners!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Default Question for Mazda 3 Owners!!

Just wondering how many of you are out there that put Silver or 89 octane gas in their Mazda 3's???? In the Manual it says to use 87 octane (recommended)...anyone use 89 or 91 Octane and if so does it increase mileage?? thx guys

Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Question for Mazda 3 Owners!!

I always use Premium = 91. Don't know if it makes a difference or if I get better gas mileage. The car says I average 7.6 per 100km. I have always used premium in all my cars. I know they say I don't have to. But, I have never had a fuel system related problem with the cars I've owned. They do add more cleaners and higher octain burns more efficiently.

But, I don't think you will notice any performance gains or fuel mileage. Just be light on the pedal.
Smile and point your finger at the SUV driving by at high speeds. Smile again when you see them filling up.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:47 PM

I've always used 87 on every car I've had. occassionally threw in some high octane, and just like Lord, I've neern had a problem with my fuel system. Oh, and never saw a difference in mpg

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 PM

i used premium whe i first got it. but talked to some of my co-workers who are mechanics, and told me that cars are made nowadays to use 87.... so i lowered it to 89.. didn't really notice any difference at all..

Old 08-18-2007, 11:32 PM

ive used 87 for a while, then when i was able to afford it i started using 93 and i have noticed better mpg (varies) and power mostly in higher rpm, dunno why and i dont care.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:47 AM

I use 93 octane now (premium) Only because I have to with monztas timing mod. Otherwise you pre detonate =( Do notice a tid bit higher in power...No diff in MPG's

Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

That should not be necessary, though I've heard that, according to some owners manuals, the'06-'07's require premium fuel. I guess it has to do w/the DISI engine, but can't verify that.
As you can see in my sig, I've done the Monzsta timing mod too and used to mix 1-2 gals of 93 w/8-10gals of 87. I stopped and have not had a problem, or any noticeable pinging/loss in powersince. In fact my mileage seems to be on the rise!! This summer I'm seeing 26-28mpg in normal driving w/the A/C on. Last summer, same conditions, 24-26.

Running straight 93 is not only a waste of money, but is probably wasting fuel too. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, which is necessary in higher compression/radically cammed engines. But if you are not getting a complete burn and the exhaust valve opens too soon, the excess is being wasted down the exhaust. This adds to a higher emissions output too, which btw may do long term harm to the O2 sensor(s) and cat(s.)

Try running a mix if you are more comfortable that way. But if you are only experiencing minimal ping (normal, efficient running,) or none at all, run what the car wants... 87.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

I occasionally use premium just since, as someone said, they have more cleaners in it. I don't however see any mpg improvements with it. I just think of it as helping the fuel system by cleaning it a little bit.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM

I put in a tank of Super every 6,000 miles or so just to clean up the injectors, other than that 87 is what the engine was designed for.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:41 AM

I would agree with you there virgin1 but I haven't noticed a loss in MPG's what so ever with the new timing mod + premium vs. no timing mod + regular gas. if this was also the case. Why wouldn't i just go buy regular gas and just go to auto zone and buy and octane booster?....Next fill up I'll try that but it'll be awkward for me to start to pump and put like 2 dollar of premium, stop the pump put the nozzle back, start the pump again and then fill it up with regular lol.

Quick Reply: Question for Mazda 3 Owners!!