Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Question on my recent Mazda Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Default Question on my recent Mazda Purchase

Hey all,

I recently bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2008 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring. Its a nice car, and everything is ok so far.

When I originally looked at the car and was negotiating to purchase, I had repeatedly asked the dealer for the 150-point inspection report, which comes with every Certified pre-owned vehicle. It makes sure that the car is inspected thoroughly, all recalls and issues are repaired, and everything in the car is mechanically and electrically sound.

The salesman had kept saying that they have it and that they provide it at the end when I pick up the car. After we made a deal and I got the car, the salesman and finance manager both said they have the report and that they could not locate it but would mail it out to me. I've been checking back with them for a few weeks now to make sure they send it.

Even though I have all of the signed paperwork that says I have a Certified Pre owned Mazda, I want to view the report to make sure that the dealer did all of its due dilligence to inspect the car and make it ready. What can I do to make sure they give me this report? After all of this time has passed, how do I even know it is legit?

I am considering giving them some more time, and if they do not have my report to me by the time I pick up my registration plates next week, I will question them on if they even did the inspection and try to escalate to MazdaUSA. Isn't it illegal for the dealer to skip the inspection, then sell the car as a Certified Pre-owned?

The other option would be to see if the dealership service center will provide an inspection now, and make sure all recalls and things were fixed, then provide me with a report.

What do you guys think? What can I do about this?

Thanks,

Dre

Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Dre: that's really not a car question it is a legal question.

My guess is that they blinked their eyelids 150 x and called that a 150 point inspection. I also think that they inspect all their certifieds in this way. Unless there is something obviously wrong they assume the buyer won't notice.

Too bad that you didn't tell them "Hand me the report or I buy my car somewhere else".

You gave them plenty time already. You could try backing out of the deal if they don't give you the report now, but if a copy of the report is not part of the contract you signed you will have a weak position.

If you want to know if you have a decent car take it to an independent mom and pop shop for a real inspection. It will cost you a 100 bux but that report might be something you can use against the seller, or it could mean piece of mind to you.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Dre: that's really not a car question it is a legal question.
Good luck.
Fun Times!

Not the way to start with a new car!

Cheer up:

MerryXmas.jpg?t=1387478815

Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 PM

agree with the boys. your power position is when the money is in your hands. does not means you made a bad purchase. that report could be bogus (just a parer with check marks) and we would never know. just dont let pass any little thing for them to honor the warranty and get them to do the oil changes. you can always go to a different shop, get it inspected and go back and claim warranty. the car is now in your hands, you have to defend yourself.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the tips guys!!!

They claim that they mailed the report out to me, but who knows. I'll believe when I see.

I realize I should have been harder on the details before I paid for the car, but I was kinda desperate and I had done research on it. Also got a decent price, which is good.

I have a cousin who is a mechanic, and will take it for an inspection at some point to make sure everything is ok and nothing is out of whack.

Dre

Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Cool cousin!

(Lunch will be on you.)

Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 PM

typical salesman lacking followup.

Honestly I would have not bought the car until I had seen the inspection report.

Call the service center of the dealer you purchased it from and ask for the history report. They should have a scanned file of the inspection.

If you give me your vin I can run a report to see if there are any open recalls and also see what warranty claims have been made on the vehicle's history.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 AM

Update: I did receive the report in the mail. Looks as I expected, everything was checked off as good, no issues, even though the CarFax stated that there was an open recall on the car and I didnt see a report of it being fixed.

Another strange thing about the recall - I recently got a phone call from a different Mazda Dealership stating that there was an open recall and to call them regarding service of it. Strange, right?

In either event, I will investigate the recall thing further and also get my cousin to check the car anyways, just to be sure.

Dre