Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Default Rear Sway Bar

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear sway bar? It seems as though the Progress bar moves around a lot from what I've read. That leaves a few others but do you have a favorite. Also, where's a good place to buy for a reasonable price? - thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have a first gen Progress that does NOT have the side-stops, but later versions do.
The Mazdaspeed or Eibach's (same thing) seem like a good overall choice for street and occassional track use, such as w/e autocross.
The RB's are a bit more serious and I would worry about them in slippery weather on the street.
For suppliers, I recommend: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...uspension.html
I have done business with Brian Goodwin before and can recommend his business and he seems to have the best prices on these I have seen.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks, couple questions now...
What do you think of Cobb bars? (not sure how thick they are)
With any replacement bar, do you think new end links are needed?
And... are the bars interchangeable between the 4 and 5 door and Speed? (since some other parts are not)

The RB seems to be 1mm thicker than the Eibach. The Progress is only 2mm over stock. I'm thinking of the RB, Cobb, or Eibach and I don't think I want to do the front since it requires dropping so much stuff just to do it.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

I know little about the Cobb, except that they are hollow and the rules for hollow over solid change drastically. i.e. a 27mm hollow might be directly interchangeable performance-wise with a 22mm solid.
The Cobbs are popular with the Speed3 group, but will interchange w/the NA's also.
I bought my Koni Yellows from a guy who traded in his NA3 for an '07 Speed. I could not understand why he just didn't install them on his new MS3 instead of taking the financial hit on them that he did?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 AM

How much is handling actually enhanced by upgrading the sway bar(s)? After installing the Eibach springs my car handles almost like a go-cart as it is and I am curious what benefits would be realized for the $$$$$? (Obviously an enhanced signature line...) From what I have seen the sway bar kits are not an insignificant amount of money, but if the increased performance justifies it...No, there is a spending moratorium at my house right now, but I would like to know thoughts on the benefits from this upgrade.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

I had a noticeable difference using the Progress bar over stock, though it is only 2mm thicker. It is also adjustable. Naturally I set it on "tight" right away and haven't looked back. It's nothing to write home about imo though.
A set designed to work together (F&R) would no doubt be the better, if not harder to install choice.
I forget where you are Steve, but be forewarned that if you are in the snow belt your winter handling is liable to be adversely affected also. Not allowing the body to yaw and transfer the additional load on the outside rubber will increase the lateral load in relation to the grip available in the tires.
You will love having them in the dry though.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM

North Carolina. Ice and snow, although happen occaisonally, would not be a consideration.

Ugh! (you were supposed to say that it wouldn't make that much difference and to not worry about it)

I was considering the Eiback set. Operative word - considering. (remember the mandate by the war dept.)