Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Default roof rack

I have an 04 mazda 3 5 door with moon roof. i'm looking for a roof mounted bike rack and load bars. haven't had much luck with the research, anyone have any suggestions or know of a decent setup? I've been to the thule website and it looks like they have what I need but looking for a little feedback.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Default RE: roof rack

I've used Thule gear for years (12+) with no issue.

I've logged thousands of miles with skis, boxes, kayaks, mountain bikes, material for a 500 sq ft deck, etc.

I highly recommend them....I have some parts that are from the original rack I bought back in 96. If you get a new car, all you have to replace are the mounting feet.

The fit kit I had used feet on the roof and clamps that went into the door jamb along the top edge.

So long as you clean the roof before you install it and regularly take it off to keep it clean under there you shouldn't have any problems.

I prefer the tray style bike racks where you remove the front wheel and lock the forks into the mount rather than the whole bike standing up. (easier to load) Many companies make brackets to mount their generic components on Thule racks as well (I have generic fork and front tire holders that have worked great.)

If you're not exactly sure what width bar you want, order larger as you can always cut a little length off if you need to.

I like having 4-6" of bar length on the outside of each tower to allow the max amount of stuff up there. I've hauled 2 mountain bikes, 2 kayaks and 2 front tire mounts on my car.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: roof rack

Thule has been the std for a long time. I worked for a Jeep dealer way back in the "80"s and we used to recommend their stuff for the Jeeps, though we did not carry it ourselves.
Just make sure their roof rails are right for the car or they could cause paint damage. I"d check w/them personally (email or phone call) to make sure.