Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Shifter vibrates when decelerating in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 12:21 PM
Angry Shifter vibrates when decelerating in 3rd gear

My car is a brand new 3 2024 2.0L MT FWD. I've been experiencing strong vibrations in the gear stick when releasing the throttle while in 3rd gear. This happens only when decelerating and exclusively in 3rd, and the vibrations themselves have a frequency that's tied to engine RPM.

Did anyone else experience such an issue?

Old 11-01-2023, 12:46 PM

This is NOT normal. Your Mazda is very much still under WARRATY, I would suggest going to a dealer have them look at your Mazda. If there is a concern it will be logged on your VIN in case of future problems as historical records for your Mazda.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:16 PM

It's indeed abnormal. An official Mazda mechanic confirmed the issue and Mazda acknowledged it, and I'm going to have him take a look at the car in a few days. I'm very worried and unhappy though, as I fear that my brand new car will require potentially intrusive repairs.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by CarloC
It's indeed abnormal. An official Mazda mechanic confirmed the issue and Mazda acknowledged it, and I'm going to have him take a look at the car in a few days. I'm very worried and unhappy though, as I fear that my brand new car will require potentially intrusive repairs.
an official Mazda mechanic... never read that before.... LOL
Look , I wouldn't worry yet if it is a part that is prematurely failing Mazda is really good at taking care of it. The dealership may even give you a loaner during the service work? If it is your dealership, you purchased the Mazda from.
You did good to have it reported AND IT IS ON YOUR vin HISTORY.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:51 PM

By "official" I meant the mechanic that works at my dealership, and not an independent one. I've driven the car for less than 150 miles, that's really some premature failure right there! At least I'll get a loaner for the entire duration of the repairs, but I'm very soured by having potentially purchased a lemon. Instead of being happy of my new 3, words cannot express how angry and disappointed I am right now.

Last edited by CarloC; 11-01-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:04 PM

By "official" I meant the mechanic that works at my dealership, and not an independent one. I've driven the car for less than 150 miles, that's really some premature failure right there! At least I'll get a loaner for the entire duration of the repairs, but I'm very soured by having potentially purchased a lemon. Instead of being happy of my new 3, words cannot express how angry and disappointed I am right now.
CarloC ......dude......
Ok so it is NOT a LEMON not even close. As for the noise at 150miles, you realize that many do not understand that both the engine and transmission have a break in period. The engine is about 15k miles and the transmission si not far short of that. As for your noise NOTHING has been determined yet and worrying about the worst scenario at this point is counter productive not to mention un healthy!

I do understand the worry. I get a few customers every month that drop their vehicles off with various concerns. When I tell them it will be looked at tomorrow they call me at 8:01am and ask what we found to be the problem. rolmao.
I think you get my point.... relax.... I am confident about the quality of MAZDA and also contrary to a few whiners and bad/negative in general individuals that really don't like their life anyway I am sure you will get a positive resolve.
If you have time on your hands you can go find how many of MAZDA produced in your model and the odds are a few may have some unforeseen ,unexpected problems. NO auto manufacture in high productions models has ever to my knowledge had a perfect line run for a year. Not one!

This thread has my interest mainly because I want to know what they find out and not just another complete transmission ?part replacement without every knowing what really happened?

Old 11-01-2023, 03:54 PM

Thank you for your reply, Callisto. I'm aware my opinion and 'feeling' about the car may be heavily biased because of the issue I've described, issue that a brand new car shouldn't have. The vibrations are extremely strong to the point that even briefly holding the stick while changing gear is uncomfortable. If Mazda will decide to replace the entire trasmission I'll fight tooth and nail to have the car replaced instead of repaired, as I won't feel safe driving a car that already requires to be gutted open in order to receive extensive repairs.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:31 PM

After more than twenty days, the mechanic said he will need to replace the entire transmission. Words cannot possibly express how much pissed I am. Is this Mazda's "quality"? Requiring a complete transmission replacement on a brand new car? That's a textbook definition of a lemon.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:51 AM

After more than twenty days, the mechanic said he will need to replace the entire transmission. Words cannot possibly express how much pissed I am. Is this Mazda's "quality"? Requiring a complete transmission replacement on a brand new car? That's a textbook definition of a lemon.
Did you join just to VENT?? And be so negative! LOL
Your issues and the resolve by the auto manufacture in this case MAZDA does not in any definition place you MAZDA in the LEMON LAW description.
Try reading exactly what a LEMON LAW is concerning the category of an automobile. And try not to interpret what you think it means. Get advise from an attorney.
Mazda will not replace your vehicle. Good luck trying.
There is NO perfect auto manufacture. Like other products there will be a few defects in the completed manufacturing process. This is why there is a WARRANTY. I might add that the dealership and Mazda are honoring that WARRATY! Replacing the transmission is part of the WARRATY. If your read all those papers when you purchased the vehicle Mazda or any other brand, then you should understand how a vehicle the WARRATY!
You do and can trade it in on another Mazda and or independently sell it or trade it in for another make! That is your choice.

Now you can vent/rant some more.....