Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

should I remove my door moldings???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: should I remove my door moldings???

If you don't have any Goo-Gone, try a little WD-40 on a rag. That's what I used. But as I'd said, and from my own experience doing this, I think probably the best time to do it is when it's warm out, but not in direct sun.
Pull only as fast as the adhesive let's go and you shouldn't have much clean up. Be patient.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:55 PM

I was intent on going to and using my parents place for removing the molding and giving the first wax coat. They have the area and utilities to perform detailing jobs on the presidents motorcade. As well as wonderfull shade for the waxing portion. Alas my very easily impressed mind was tainted. My father thinks it's a stupid idea. Even though he agrees that they perform no function and it will be a clean look. He even liked the pics i showed him of your cars. He say's it's stupid to even worry with it and what if i don't like it afterwards. To that i noted how easily a peice of plastic can be fastened to sheetmetal. So i've been debunked again.Next timeI decide something i'm not asking ANYONE what they think lol.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

This is reminding me of a guy that's in our local chapter w/exactly the same issues.
Well, as I'd said, this was a non-issuefor me too until one day, the day after a Meet here in Austin, after dinner that night I just got a strong urge and did it.
The difference being that you want to do it, but can't. I didn't really want to but am happy w/the results.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:46 PM

ok, i lied... the 3 hatchbacks have door moldings, and the 3 sedans dont... at least in canada anyways.....

Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Heh i think you get the wrong impression here. I certainly can and may still but i always like to run things byy someone else. And cars stuff means I roll over to the 'rents pad and present a case of rolling rock and present my case. He'd never heard of such a thing, and so he really did'nt see the point. I'm a big boy though so maybe i'll double up on the pills tomorrow and make some big boy decisions!!! lol

Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MikeMS3
Heh i think you get the wrong impression here. I certainly can and may still but i always like to run things byy someone else...
...I'm a big boy though so maybe i'll double up on the pills tomorrow and make some big boy decisions!!!
Perhaps I mispoke, or could've chosen a better way of saying what I'd said.I can now see how you took what I said the way you did. 'Sorry for any misunderstanding.

What I meant is, that you seem to have internal strife/conflict about doing it. If that's the case, perhaps you'd be betterto hold off until you become more comfortable making the decision.

Or... you could just double up on the pills, go for it and decide if you can live w/the consequences later!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
As I said, Ihad nointend of doing themod at first. but reached a point where it was a non-issue for me. Once done, I wouldn't go back. For me, I made the right decision, but only you can decide whether or not it's the right one for you.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Just to let you guy's know. I pussed out and never did remove the moldings. I dont know, when I look down the side I think the body is to tall and the moldings break it up a little.
If anyone has a red m3 w/o moldings send me a pic please

paurossi@tycoint.com

Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I had the same reservation before I did mine too, ec, and made that same argument on several occassions. But, there are lots of examples out there, including my own, that will give you a life-sized view of what it would look like afterwards.
My guess is, that like me, you'll do it when you're good and ready too. And that's what it's all about.