Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Should i be worried about my gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Default Should i be worried about my gas mileage?

Hello,
Its been a year since i been driving my 2010 Mazda3 GS. I live in canada and here it snows a lot. So considering that on an average i am getting 25.1 mpg from sep 2010 to aug 2011- In between i have missed about 8 fuels up (4000 kms). Right now i have 17000 kms n the car. Is this a reasonable mileage am getting? I mostly drive 65% city. As not many highways here. What is the actual mileage that other people here r getting?
Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by DesiMunda
Hello,
Its been a year since i been driving my 2010 Mazda3 GS. I live in canada and here it snows a lot. So considering that on an average i am getting 25.1 mpg from sep 2010 to aug 2011- In between i have missed about 8 fuels up (4000 kms). Right now i have 17000 kms n the car. Is this a reasonable mileage am getting? I mostly drive 65% city. As not many highways here. What is the actual mileage that other people here r getting?
Thanks
Manual transmission or Automatic? If a Manual then your mileage looks pretty much bang on compared to what it should be, if you have an Automatic, then if anything, your mileage looks pretty good; if anything a bit high.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Manual transmission or Automatic? If a Manual then your mileage looks pretty much bang on compared to what it should be, if you have an Automatic, then if anything, your mileage looks pretty good; if anything a bit high.
Hey Shipo thanks for replying. Its an automatic transmission. But 27 mpg city/ 39 mpg highway is the epa rating by mazda. Seems like i am way off that. Thats why i am concerned.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by DesiMunda
Hey Shipo thanks for replying. Its an automatic transmission. But 27 mpg city/ 39 mpg highway is the epa rating by mazda. Seems like i am way off that. Thats why i am concerned.
I suppose those numbers must equate to the Imperial Gallon (which if memory serves is ~16.5% larger) as there's no way they're even remotely accurate for the U.S. Gallon. FWIW, the U.S. EPA has the 2.0 and 2.5 liter Mazda3 Automatics rated at 24/27/33 and 22/25/29 (city/combined/highway) respectively.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Yeah I would like to average 25 mpg. I drive almost all city and I average between 19-22 depending on how I am driving. I did drive from AZ to MT on all highway and was averaging well over 30 except going up the mountains. So yeah I agree with Shipo you are doing pretty good at 25 for a ATX.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah that's about spot on. Combined and not really trying I average 27. For a short couple of months I tried really really hard to improve my mileage and managed to average 30-32 with a couple tanks (mostly highway traveling) up to 35. That's with a 2.3 MTX. Sadly the return of warm weather and usage of A/C slaughtered by awesome mileage. That and my battery was replaced at almost the exact same time and when the ECU was reset the mileage plummeted.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
Yeah that's about spot on. Combined and not really trying I average 27. For a short couple of months I tried really really hard to improve my mileage and managed to average 30-32 with a couple tanks (mostly highway traveling) up to 35. That's with a 2.3 MTX. Sadly the return of warm weather and usage of A/C slaughtered by awesome mileage. That and my battery was replaced at almost the exact same time and when the ECU was reset the mileage plummeted.
I rarely drive with the A/C engaged, however, of late I've been working two contracts which means I need to commute 38 miles south in the very early morning (no A/C needed here), 75 miles north in the early afternoon (MAX A/C for the full run), and then 43 miles back south (need A/C about two-thirds of the time on this run). Given that I value sleep more than fuel economy, I've been running all three legs at speeds upwards of 80 (where safely possible), and my fuel economy has suffered as a result; just under 31 mpg at last fill-up.

FWIW, my car is a 2.0 liter 2009 Mazda3 i TVE with a 5-Speed.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

I rarely drive with the A/C engaged, however, of late I've been working two contracts which means I need to commute 38 miles south in the very early morning (no A/C needed here), 75 miles north in the early afternoon (MAX A/C for the full run), and then 43 miles back south (need A/C about two-thirds of the time on this run). Given that I value sleep more than fuel economy, I've been running all three legs at speeds upwards of 80 (where safely possible), and my fuel economy has suffered as a result; just under 31 mpg at last fill-up.

FWIW, my car is a 2.0 liter 2009 Mazda3 i TVE with a 5-Speed.
Yeah when it was cooler I was running without A/C at all, and actually on several long distance trips recently I've run without A/C on the highway. Can't do that with the wife in the car since she won't tolerate the fan speed being turned up to compensate for the warmer air, and I won't tolerate a warm car with no air flow.

I would have been perfectly happy to continue going without A/C but for two things. One I was in eastern North Carolina and we had 2-3 months where the low at night was 89 and the common temp during the day was 96-104 (temp, not heat index). Two my son is way more prone to overheating than I am.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
Yeah when it was cooler I was running without A/C at all, and actually on several long distance trips recently I've run without A/C on the highway. Can't do that with the wife in the car since she won't tolerate the fan speed being turned up to compensate for the warmer air, and I won't tolerate a warm car with no air flow.

I would have been perfectly happy to continue going without A/C but for two things. One I was in eastern North Carolina and we had 2-3 months where the low at night was 89 and the common temp during the day was 96-104 (temp, not heat index). Two my son is way more prone to overheating than I am.
Yeah, the Mrs. often has a mandatory A/C affect on the car; she gets in on a perfectly delightful 75°F day, a day where I wouldn't even remotely consider A/C, and before we're even out of the driveway she asks for the windows to go up and the A/C to be engaged. Our daughter is the same way; guess they don't like that wind-blown hair look.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the Mrs. often has a mandatory A/C affect on the car; she gets in on a perfectly delightful 75°F day, a day where I wouldn't even remotely consider A/C, and before we're even out of the driveway she asks for the windows to go up and the A/C to be engaged. Our daughter is the same way; guess they don't like that wind-blown hair look.
Yup, gorgeous days just begging for the windows to be open and we have to shut them up. And she'll never tolerate the sunroof being open.

Quick Reply: Should i be worried about my gas mileage?