Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Default SPEED3 Owners thread

I thought it might be cool to start a thread for those of us that have been lucky enough to get a "wild thang". Please feel free to post your thoughts about anything concerning the S3.

I will begin by saying that I did find a small problem with my car. I had the car about 5 days, when I noticed some scratches in the hatch glass. There are 3. 1 large, almost circular one, and 2 other smaller, more horizontal ones. I took it back to the dealer, and they are going to replace the glass. I am sure they were there when I bought the car, because it has been in my garage since the day I bought it. The few times I drove it, it was never out of my sight. Because of the window tint, it is difficult to see them on the outside. But if you open the hatch and look out, you can see them immediately.

I have looked over the paint, and it looks real good, almost flawless. I think Mazda has improved the paint from previous years, because I remember looking at an RX7 (some years ago), and all I remember is the amount of "orange peel" the paint had. My S3 is pretty slick for a factory paint job.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

The paint is still weak a pebble hit my hood this morning and now I have a fning chip

Old 11-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Damn man! Sorry to hear that. I know it makes you sick.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:11 PM

I have not identified any problems yet, except that the heater fan sounded like it had a small leaf or something caught in it for a few days. Have not heard it lately, though. I have not washed it yet or spent any time really checking it out other than driving it. I'll do close to 4500 miles the first month with a trip to SC for Thanksgiving.

This car is pretty stiff, the way I want it to be, but I can't see it being the right car for lots of people. My only criticism is that I think the steering ratio is too fast. Sudden movements caused by the car just following the road can make your arm move enough to steer the car off of your planned trajectory. Driving with one hand is no longer possible where it was in the Contour SVT that this car replaces.

That said, I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoy this car! It responds instantly and powerfully to steering inputs. The brakes are some of the best out there. Recently I saw a test showing 60 to 0 in 111 feet. It's my first 4-banger ever, and my first turbo. Contrary to statements all over the place declaring that there is no turbo lag, I feel some turbo lag, so I guess those claims are made relative to other turbo cars. It's not a problem for me by any means; I just have to expect not to have the FULL power until about 1/2 or 2/3 of a second after the loud pedal goes down. Then, it's like being shot out of a cannon.

VASpeed3

Old 11-23-2006, 02:34 AM

Wannabe,
Thanks for starting this thread, great idea! Also, congratualations on the delivery of your new Speed3, I'm sure you are digg'n it. I recently placed an order for a true red GT w/navigation and have been told by my dealer I can expect delivery around March of 07. In the mean time, I've had the rare opportunity to take two test drives in Speed3's and each time I have been totally astonished by the cars performance...definitely the most bang for the buck on the market today. Over the course of the last few months I've read countless articles written on the Speed3 purposely looking for someone to write something bad about the car...haven't found one yet. This coupled with the two test drives I have taken as well as actual user feedback from forums like this one continues to fuel my excitement. It is a long stretch between now and March, I'm hoping my dealer is wrong and I actually take possession of my Wild Child much sooner. As this is my very first post to this group - I just registered minutes ago - I am looking forward to learning from each of you as you each take possession of your fourwheeled, turbo charged beast, as well as contributing experiences of my own.

XLR8R

Old 11-23-2006, 03:54 AM

Finally someone started this thread.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/7121/1224CE4416C54BB08FC3206058F9783B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 PM

I live in central NC, and it has been cold and raining for the last few days. But today it is a BEAUTIFUL day here (64f), and I just got back from a cruise.

Each time I drive this car, I like it more. Almost impossible not to have a big smile when I feel that little monster growl. I also like the fact that they didn't make the car too flashy. You know big wings, and graphics. I like the stealth feeling. Unless somebody has researched this car, they will have no idea what a rocket it is. I work with some guys that are pretty big car buffs, but none of them knew anything about the S3 until I drove it to work.

Yes, the steering is a little "crisp", but I like it. BIG difference from my Explorer. Also, when I drive that thing now, I feel like I am pulling an anchor. LOL!! I promised myself I would only drive the S3 a couple days a week, to keep the mileage low. But that is gonna be difficult. I will certainly drive the Explorer if the weather is crappy.

Hey VA, about the turbo lag. Have you tried turning off the traction control? It does limit you quite a lot in 1st and 2nd gear. I have owned 1 turbo car before, and comparatively, this car has almost no lag.

Also, do you guys know, if is there a way to get the mods to make this thread a "sticky"?

Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 PM

So if you turn off the traction control you dont feel that lag, also yeah you cant really drive with one hand lol

Old 11-23-2006, 09:09 PM

Hey everyone...Just picked up our MS3 to add to the Mazda family...

Name:  DSC04672_2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  4.0 KB

Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 PM

here's more pics...

Name:  DSC04848.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  DSC04853.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  55.8 KB