Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

Yea i figgured we'd be stuck to the top by now as well. I mean they stickied a post listing the 3's specs, which we can view on hundreds of other sites and the new years on Mazdas site while playing around building them. And a cheesey advertisment for a discounted exhaust. I see the idea behind the specs, but, that's it. Oh well It'll stay on the front page anyway cause it gets used alot.

My check engine light is on again. They bocked open the Variavle Intake Runners and it's still throwing a light. I can assume that it's still the same reason for light. But mazdas fix should be knocking on the deaklers doors soon so I waited this week to call tomorrow. IT's starting to bother me really. Kinda just wish I could have no problems with my brand new 2007 high quality and high performance vehicle. (V,v) They'd better hope it is'nt a purge valve again, i'ma start throwing the Lemon thing around and have toget me a new one! Mine is old you know. I got almost 3k miles on it ^^.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 AM

Anyone know of any Mazda or Mazda3 clubs in the midatlantic area. IO'm out of MD and would be interested in finding out. I have a limited schedule as a commercial driver, but could be worth a check.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Note: I just posted the followingon the Saturn Sky Red Line Forum where I have been a member ever since I ordered a Sky Red Line last September. After I mentioned my decision on the RL forum to cancel my Sky Red Lineorder and instead order a MS3 I received a few amusing forum comments: I was told that the MS3 was a good choice for "Mom" and I was also told that I would be seen in "the rear view mirror" by RL drivers. I was also accused of being a Mazda "Spy".

I am not an advocate of either vehicle, but the poor customer service at the Saturn dealer and the interminable wait for a Saturn Sky Red Linecombined with my discovery of the MS3 pushed me over to the MS3. A variety of car magazine articles about both vehicles (especially the November "Automobile" articles about both cars) -and a visit to both Mazda and Saturn dealers and actually sitting inboth theMazda 3 (stock version) and a Saturn Sky (stock version) helped me decide.

Here is what I posted:

HA! HA!

I particularly enjoyed the comment about "Mom's Mazda".

No, I am not (at least to the best of my knowledge unless I was brainwashed when I visited the Mazda dealership), a "Mazda Corporate Spy".

I saw a Sky RL on the island yesterday - Dark Grey (with a Brunette Driving). Very sexy (you guess which).

Interestingly, I re-read the two articles about the Mazdaspeed 3 and the Sky Redline - both of which were in the November issue of "Automobile" magazine.

The two vehicles are amazingly close in stats and performance:

Engine
MS3: Turbo DOHC I-4
SRL: Turbo DOHC I-4

Output
MS3: 263 hp, 280 lb-ft
SRL: 260 hp, 260 lb-ft

Displacement
MS3: 2.3L/138 cu in
SRL: 2.0L/122 cu in

0-60
MS3: 5.9
SRL: 5.7

1/4 Mile
MS3: 14.3 @ 100 mph
SRL: 14.2 @ 99 mph

Cornering L/R
MS3: 0.92/0.89
SRL: 0.92/0.86

Braking 70-0 mph
MS3: 155 ft
SRL: 170 ft

Weight, dist. f/r
MS3: 3183 lb, 63/37%
SRL: 3090 lb, 53/47%

Both have Rack and Pinion Steering, 4-wheel (vented front) disc brakes and ABS.

The Mazda is Front Wheel Drive and the Saturn is Rear Wheel Drive and, as such have different suspensions. Both have 18 inch wheels (the SRL has wider tires).

Since I have driven neither I have no opinion about either car's actual feel.

Seems like instead of a Saturn RL Driver seeing the Mazda Speed 3 "in the Rear View Mirror", both drivers will be probably be seeing each other out their side windows!

Dealer called and said the Mazda is "on the boat" ?!

I didnt even get a call back from Saturn when I called to tell them I was cancelling my order![/align]

Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM

i didnt know that SRL were rwd....
and i'd still buy a MS3, becuase it looks more like a sleeper.
also, i'd still never buy a saturn. mostly cuz the older ones have a styrofoam like engine block.
i'd rather buy a pontiac Solstice over a RL. even tho they're probably almost identical....
just my two cents...

Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM

It's a Saturn...

Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Even though the performance numbers are similar, they are really 2 completely types of cars. How you intend to use the vehicle should be more of a determining factor than anything else. If I wanted a 2 seat roadster, I would have kept my Corvette.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: zoomzoomwannabe

Even though the performance numbers are similar, they are really 2 completely types of cars. How you intend to use the vehicle should be more of a determining factor than anything else. If I wanted a 2 seat roadster, I would have kept my Corvette.
Zoomzoom: applause and well said.....

and even better stated: "It's a Saturn" That just sums it up right there.....ehhh....it's GM, the best thing that could have happen to them is to be bought out by nissan so maybe then they can be closer to being an import.... please go join the neons on the back of the towe truck......

Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I think it's interesting to study the acceleration stats a bit. The roadster has 0-60 that is .2 sec faster than the MS3 -- you know why -- it's the poor launch of FWD. But the MS3 crosses the 1/4 mile line a little faster (maybe not statistically faster, though), so you might safely draw this conclusion: Unless you are drag racing the Saturn, it's very unlikey he'll see you in his rear view. More likely the other way around.

I would not mind beinghow one of them finds that out the hard way. ...witha week'sgroceries inthe back.

VASpeed3.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 PM

when i said i'd buy a solstice over a RL, i meant if those were my only two choices....
if i wanted a small, 2 seater car, id buy a lotus elise.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread