Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Default Winter tire sizes

Well I went and did it. I got myself a Black Mica MS3 yestarday and I love everything about it. All but the terrible winter drivability I slid right past my driveway when I brought it home. This was with just a dusting of snow less than an inch deep. This I know is directly related to the summer rubber on these cars. I had a question on what size steel wheels I can throw on this thing I know with the larger rotors space is an issue. Tire Rack advertised a 16" tire 205/60-16 will a 16 fit on this car or is there inside clearance issues?

A 205 would definetly get more pressure on the contact patch and be some cheap winter rubber. $57for the cheapest grippers I saw for snow tires in that size. But will they fit??

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Default RE: Winter tire sizes

17's work fine in a 205/50R17. I run that on my wifes Mazda6 and they are awesome. I believe you can fit a 16" wheel, but you get REAL tight between the caliper and rim so if any ice built up in there you could run into issues. I'd stick with17's.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Default Went and did it too!

After chasing a Shelby GT, Jetta TDI and Honda SI, I finally settled on the Mazda Speed3 and I'm glad I did, definitely a Rocket with great suspension and steering. I bet if Mazda makes them again in 08 they'll be 3000 to 5000 more in price. I paid $23085 before TTL and was OTD for 25500. They didn't argue over MSRP at all, but they sure weren't going under it. I got the Black Mica sport, no options to speak of and I'm just outside of Phoenix Arizona. I was looking on Mazda's web site and all the Speed3 optional equipment is for the 2004 to 2006 model years, has anyone heard when the CAI and CBE will be out for the 07's? I really love driving this car, takes me back to the muscle car days of the late 60's early 70's. I use to have a 64 Malibu SS 350hp 327ci with a 2.20 low Muncie 4 speed and 3.73 posi rear, and it would fly, but I bet this Speed3 would keep up with it for awhile. Anyway, nice to meet all of you other smart buyers, isn't is nice to know at least some of us still know a good thing when we see it?

Old 02-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Went and did it too!

Welcome to the family Road and Dolph!! Sweet ride eh?!?! To the futrue of Mazda sourced bolt ons, the parts guys at my local dealer looked at me funny. Should be soon i would think. I heard a RUMOR about 'next month', two weeks ago....... CP-E now has they're BOV and CAI availible to ship!! Check those guys out they are legit. On the steel rims issue i'm with you. I want to know the same thing. A size.Not a range, But being Feb and we don't get to much snow here I may just go with the new summer rims (wider and lighter)and Winters on the stock. Meh.

Anywho, Welcome! Throw your questions here as well as ideas. I love to see new posts!!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 PM

I have a question. If I would make a website that is stricktly for the MS3 how many would be interested? It would have forums seperate catagories for engine chassis boilt on performanceand what not. A review section where you can write a simple review on performance add-ons and what not. I have a few ideas right now but am thinking that a car of this caliber really needs a place of its own not just a thread on a forum.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Count me in

Old 02-03-2007, 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Dolph92

I have a question. If I would make a website that is stricktly for the MS3 how many would be interested? It would have forums seperate catagories for engine chassis boilt on performanceand what not. A review section where you can write a simple review on performance add-ons and what not. I have a few ideas right now but am thinking that a car of this caliber really needs a place of its own not just a thread on a forum.
You're stealing my idea...but by all means go for it

Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 PM

how wide can we go with the tires on the front. I think this will help reduce the very minium torque steer.. I read a article on the pontiac gtp about how they increased tire size on the front over the rear to reduce torque steer. they claim that it worked. what do you guys think. by the way i just hit 3000 miles.

mike

Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Default Mazda did us a favor!

After reading several posts about the potential power of this engine, it seems that Mazda de-tuned it somewhat, and I think I know why, read this http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6197.pdf As you can see if the speed3 were to get about 3 or 4 miles per gallon less, we would have had to pay a $1300 gas guzzler tax and I'm sure none of us would have been happy about that. So I have to thank the engineers at Mazda for having the fore-thought to see this. They know full well that us owners are going to trick them out and get every available pony out of them thats possible anyway. Too bad Ford/Shelby and some of the other manufacturers don't do this for their customers. I almost bought a 07 Shelby GT and if I would have, there would of been a $1300 GGT on it, but as itis, I got the better car anyway. Just thought you guy's would be interested in this, Zoom Zoom.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Default RE: Mazda did us a favor!

ORIGINAL: roadrunr

After reading several posts about the potential power of this engine, it seems that Mazda de-tuned it somewhat, and I think I know why, read this http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6197.pdf As you can see if the speed3 were to get about 3 or 4 miles per gallon less, we would have had to pay a $1300 gas guzzler tax and I'm sure none of us would have been happy about that. So I have to thank the engineers at Mazda for having the fore-thought to see this. They know full well that us owners are going to trick them out and get every available pony out of them thats possible anyway. Too bad Ford/Shelby and some of the other manufacturers don't do this for their customers. I almost bought a 07 Shelby GT and if I would have, there would of been a $1300 GGT on it, but as itis, I got the better car anyway. Just thought you guy's would be interested in this, Zoom Zoom.
The Shelby GT would eat the MS3 for lunch...no offense. Not the mention at 325 hp stock, that engine is only starting to make some power....Only way to avoid the GGT on a Mustang is to have a V6 or I4 under the hood....It is not a Mustang without a V8.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread