Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Default RE: Mazda did us a favor!

sstlaure, no offense taken man, your absolutely right, the Shelby Gt would flat outrun a MS3, and its not a stang without a butt kickin V8 in it, actually Shelby is offering a Paxton Supercharger as an add on that kicks it up to 472bhp. But they are only building 6000 so it will be an exclusive car, and so will the MS3, since their only building 5000 for the north american market they will be rare. By the way, the speed 3 is called the MPV (Mazda Performance Vehicle) in Europe, almost identical car but a little different specs, says it puts out 260bhp at 5500rpm, I wonder why the difference? I went to the European sites to see if the CAI and CBE were available there yet, but there not, so I guess we go on waiting, or has anybody heard anything new? I also emailed Mazda Headquarters to see if they would sell the cars off the Couger Ace for racing purposes, maybe they will as long as its legally agreed that it will never be titled for use on a public street, what a shame to see all that good stuff going to the shredder, big BUMMER.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

A quick view of the Car and Driver Web Site shows that the MS3 is on "The List" of "10 Best for 2007".

My read of the article reveals the editors are disappointed by the power and torque configurations for the MS3 in comparison to more technologically advanced turbos - such as the ones on the VW GTI and Sky Red Line/Solstice GXP which allow for more efficient turbo assist at lower RPM's.

C&D says the Mazda turbo workswell - makes lots of power- but could be better based upon current technology since the HP/Torque curves are more like a "Std Deviation" than the more desireable "Mesa/Plateau" (my words)

For those techno savy members: will the soon to be available Cold Air Intake and Cat Back Exhaust MS3 options have any effect on the shape of the curves or will the curves have the same shape but have larger volume? The word is that dyno results will show 30 HP and Lb Ft with these options. I am wary of such add ons since my experience with my C5 Corvette - I added a Cold Air intake, Headers and a Free Flow exhaust and bumped the dyno tested rear wheel HP and Torque by about 27 (the HP/Torque claims made by the vendors were in the 50 to 60 range - not even close!). The actual difference was not noticeable during any type of regular driving and the expense was high ($2500.00) not to mention about $400 for dyno runs and tuning.

I will look forward to a member of the forum taking the plunge and having these two Mazda sanctioned options applied to their MS3 and hopefully, share their Dyno results!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:39 AM

Cobb Tuner is coming! Finally...

Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Alright I started it I only got the forums up so far and will be working on the main site once I get a little more time but here it is. www.myspeed3.com/forumslet me know what you want to see. I am thinking on making a parts review part in the site where users can add images and review parts and what not for the car we will see how the creative juices start to flow as I work on this.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:59 PM

I also had a C5 and did the same mods. Never had it dynoed, but I felt sure it didn't gain more than 25 HP. Turns out I was prolly right.
ORIGINAL: Funkywinkerbean

A quick view of the Car and Driver Web Site shows that the MS3 is on "The List" of "10 Best for 2007".

My read of the article reveals the editors are disappointed by the power and torque configurations for the MS3 in comparison to more technologically advanced turbos - such as the ones on the VW GTI and Sky Red Line/Solstice GXP which allow for more efficient turbo assist at lower RPM's.

C&D says the Mazda turbo works well - makes lots of power - but could be better based upon current technology since the HP/Torque curves are more like a "Std Deviation" than the more desireable "Mesa/Plateau" (my words)

For those techno savy members: will the soon to be available Cold Air Intake and Cat Back Exhaust MS3 options have any effect on the shape of the curves or will the curves have the same shape but have larger volume? The word is that dyno results will show 30 HP and Lb Ft with these options. I am wary of such add ons since my experience with my C5 Corvette - I added a Cold Air intake, Headers and a Free Flow exhaust and bumped the dyno tested rear wheel HP and Torque by about 27 (the HP/Torque claims made by the vendors were in the 50 to 60 range - not even close!). The actual difference was not noticeable during any type of regular driving and the expense was high ($2500.00) not to mention about $400 for dyno runs and tuning.

I will look forward to a member of the forum taking the plunge and having these two Mazda sanctioned options applied to their MS3 and hopefully, share their Dyno results!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM

I got the same impression from the Car and Driver article, seems like they wanted to take a slap at the MS3 but know that it will kick the butt of any of the other cars mentioned. As far as the torque and HP curves with the CAI and CBE, I think that they will just be widened somewhat, after all were only talking about 30 extra HP so the torque will probably peak a little bit earlier, I really don't think it will make a huge difference, probably just enough to blow off a fellow MS3 and maybe the occasional Mustang GT V6.
But what I think will be more important is getting someone to tune it all who really knows their stuff, and this could possibly make a huge difference with a bone stock MS3 as well. i just hope that the prices for the OEM parts stay about the same price as the 04 to 06 price's. They showed, I think $365 for the CAI and $535 for the CBE, so with labor that should only be about $1200 for everything, I wonder what kind of tuning they do after the install, anyone know? The best thing about these are is that they are Dealer installed OEM parts and won't void your warranty, going with anything aftermarket most likely will, and who wants to wait until 36000 miles?

Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Just traded in my 02 civic si for a MS3 GT, sunlight silver. Wow. Forget all of the reviews that anoint this vehicle. Forget all the numbers. The only way you can truly appreciate this car is to drive it. Wow. I can't even believe I got approved on the loan. I'm friggin' stoked. I think I'm gonna go take lunch from work right now just so I can drive my MAZDASPEED3!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM

I saw the article too and it seemed a bit biased, its funny cause I slap GTi s up all day and love it.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: BloodandThunder

Just traded in my 02 civic si for a MS3 GT, sunlight silver. Wow. Forget all of the reviews that anoint this vehicle. Forget all the numbers. The only way you can truly appreciate this car is to drive it. Wow. I can't even believe I got approved on the loan. I'm friggin' stoked. I think I'm gonna go take lunch from work right now just so I can drive my MAZDASPEED3!
Just be careful...I got a ticket from the glorious turbo...

Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Well you know that can happen no matter what you are driving. Most times, if you are just going fast enough to keep up with the other traffic, you are elligible for a ticket.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread