Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Default RE: Snow

1.) Around 22MPG and that is both highway/city
2.) If you drive it ***** to the walls all the time, don't take care of it, or stupid you will get the "rule of thumb". Otherwise, proper maintenace and it will be happy. Besides, if it goes out while in warranty you have an all new setup.
3.) It is my daily driver and I love it. It is VERY versatile in that I can haul ***, or be smooth and slow and both are perfect!

I personally think you should have bought the MS3. You are going to regret it the day you realize you are slow.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 AM

If you bought the 3 for an all around reliable car, and to get good mileage, you probably made the right choice. However, it seems (from the posts on this site) that the first thing many people want to do is add performance parts to their car. If that is the case, I can't see why anybody would not just get the S3. Not only for the performance, but for the vastly increased handling, braking, and other safety features. I hope you enjoy your car.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Why dont you read all my post. I also said that I turn on the dsc when i shift to 2nd gear (which I do right after the car gets going about 5 mph) you're the stupid one for just jumping into conclusion, stupid. And why are you callin me stupid anyway? this a mazdaspeed 3 forum, almost everyone here owns a speed3. Where is the cohesiveness amongst speed3 owner if all of us will call each other stupid? I know my tires are performance tires and I know I need snow tires. I never said I dont need it and so what if I drove it on the snow, I didnt get into an accident, did I? does it snow everydayof winter in new jersey? no it does not. can I drive my car with my wheelswhen the forecast says there is1" of snow outside? yes. why? cause they plow the roads and salt it, so it's pretty stupid of you to say thatit's pretty stupid of me to drive my car on "any" amount of snow.and I know there's just so many things safety features can do. I'm not stupid. Hey, you're an idiot brake engineer!

anyways,
VAspeed3, to answer your question, your wheels will spin without interuption from the dsc, then your car will get goin more compare to if you have the dsc on.

ORIGINAL: brake engineer

ORIGINAL: mazdasleep3

The snow here in the northeast was a challenge for my speed3. I traveled close to 40 miles on valentine's day when we're hit with snow and sleet. I couldnt go more than 30 mph. What I do is turn off dsc first, get the car moving with 1st gear and quickly shift to 2nd then 3rd to minimize wheelspin. This car really needs snow tires in the winter, I' ratherput upwith 3 mo. of winter (and not everyday will have snow) than to have a caw with all wheels on all the time even when u dont need em.
All I gotta say is you're an idiot....you'll be eating these when youslide through an intersection and get t-boned by some unsuspecting passer by. I almost did it the first day I had my speed3...bought my snow tires from tire rack the same day and had them on the car the next. HUGE DIFFERENCE...

It's truly dangerous to be driving on these tireson any amount of snow/ice. For you to think thatyou can "put upwith 3 mo. of winter" is pretty stupid.You'll figure that out for yourself though I guess...

Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 PM

AGREED. There are plenty of ways to state your opinion without resorting to name calling.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: zoomzoomwannabe
If you bought the 3 for an all around reliable car, and to get good mileage, you probably made the right choice. However, it seems (from the posts on this site) that the first thing many people want to do is add performance parts to their car. If that is the case, I can't see why anybody would not just get the S3. Not only for the performance, but for the vastly increased handling, braking, and other safety features. I hope you enjoy your car.
I have no interest in adding any performance item to my standard GT model. If I were purchasing based on performance alone I would agree that the S3 would be the way to go, but if performance was the goal I might have to look outside of the turbo world for something with good old fashion torque.

I am in the process of having an 89 4Runner built for me that will have a 200:1 crawl ratio and under 150 hp with 35 inch tires so I'm sure the Mazda will feel quick in comparison.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:56 AM

we get speed3's up here in canada right??
i havent seen a single one.
i keep hoping that 3 hatchback in front of me will be a S3, but i get let down again, when i get close enough to read the badging on the hatch
it is winter however, but still

Old 02-17-2007, 06:31 PM

The official release said "Norh America", so yes I suppose they included Canada (and Mexico too for that matter).

Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 PM

First I want to say that if 280ft lbs of torque, unmodified at the crank is'nt enough for you stock, then I assume you mean another manufactuer and anentirely different type of car, and well, shoot, that would'nt be any fun! Too each his own.

On to the negatives.... yuk. If you remember I had a whole host of issues with my Speed3. Welp, they fixed them. For a day. The morning after i got it back the check engine light was on and i once again had one of those sudden slowing/loss of power. OMFG I still for the time being love Mazda, but i'm also lining up connections with a LemonLawyer. If anyone else is having any problems like i was or thinks theirs is a fluke give a shout, I feel all alone! heh. Everyone else seems to be having fun while i'm driving Camry's and Forresters that have been run into the ground. I need to vent but i'm looking for any insight, i just don't know what to think about this. And to clarify on the lemon status they get to fix it this week, and then once more. After that this problem will be the flag dropper on a new one to be shipped. souns like alot, and it is, four (4) shots to fix it and then it's end game.

Maybe someone could cheer me up, any good videos of stock Mazda's against stock competitors? Maybe a get well card for the car, anything.

Peace out.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM

hmm.... i guess there just isnt any speed3's in my neck of the woods.

im sure a couple will pop up once the weather gets warmer, and the snow melts

Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeMS3

First I want to say that if 280ft lbs of torque, unmodified at the crank is'nt enough for you stock, then I assume you mean another manufactuer and anentirely different type of car, and well, shoot, that would'nt be any fun! Too each his own.
Sorry to hear your car is bumming you out.

I would agree that 280 ft-lbs of torque is amazing, but Ilean more towardsnatural aspirationinstead of turbos and superchargers. I certainly have nothing against them because they allow amazing performance, I'm sure driving an MS3 would put a smile on my face!

When I had my 2000 SS Camaro it had about 350 lb-ft of torque (withintake/exhaust mods)and was a very low 13 second car inspite of my driving. On the highway I gotbetween 25 and 30 mpg and17-18 around town. The one time I pushed it top end it was still running strong around 150 mph. The LS1 engine is a dream, unfortunately it was significantly higher quality than the rest of the car.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread