Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Default RE: P0441 and P2006

Update,

(dope slap) I just need to push the right buttons and the Nav System works fine. Helps if I read the manual. Still looking for a Laren Bacall Nav voice though...

The freeway diving in this car in 6th gear should help the mileage numbers. Not surprisingly though, when you feel the urge to pass that slow-poke doing 65, with a downshift to 4th and a blip of the throttle,you enter hyperspace - and the mileage drops accordingly!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Shifting your ms3

I prefer to keep it above 2,000 rpm. I would rather spend a few pennies on fuel that risk lugging the engine. If you have the computer thing it will tell you the real time mpg and you can see what works best.

Went for a drive today and now have about 350 miles on the car. We even got snowed on, hit 100 mph once and passed a couple of cars along the way. Again, what a joy to drive.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond

I prefer to keep it above 2,000 rpm. I would rather spend a few pennies on fuel that risk lugging the engine. If you have the computer thing it will tell you the real time mpg and you can see what works best.

Went for a drive today and now have about 350 miles on the car. We even got snowed on, hit 100 mph once and passed a couple of cars along the way. Again, what a joy to drive.
I wish the computer came stock on all the cars. I want to keep hitting that "Clock" button so bad and see some other numbers.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM

If it makes you feel any better the on-board computer estimates the mpg. As for the real-time usage it is pretty accurate it seems but with a 2 second refresh, i'm not sure if anywhat the delay on that being calc'd and being displayed is. So you really still need to do the math on the mileage at fill up. My dealer insisted and even directed me to the manual for proof that the trip computer is soley an estimate. As i've been cringing at about 21.5mpg now in my Speed3. (note that after the problems fixed and me paying more attention to it's drinking habits it is slowly rising)

On the auto leveling headlamps yea as far as i know you'll still have screw adjustments to get the lamps and highbeams is not autoA/HID into the general area. Then the computer should adjust them accordingly to it's wishes, i think. Heh, Automakers around the world figure that us americans are gonna go -round with our highbeams on anyway so they save on the cost of the system and keep the same price on the car. ^^

It's warming up around here, low 50's today rain of course but i can deal. The car is donig nicely, not trans probs i'm getting excited about the warmer drives. Looking for mods either bolt on or do it yourself's, i've already taken the snorkle off the air box.....come ooooon K&N.....

Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Just yesterday my local mazdaspeed dealer, whom I purchased my speed 3 from, contacted me and informed me that the first wave of mazdaspeed products (coilovers, 5-spoke lightweight [17 lbs] forged wheels, CAI, catback, but no short throw shifter) is now available. Bring it on.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:43 PM

^ Finally. Any idea on how much the parts are running?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: BloodandThunder

Just yesterday my local mazdaspeed dealer, whom I purchased my speed 3 from, contacted me and informed me that the first wave of mazdaspeed products (coilovers, 5-spoke lightweight [17 lbs] forged wheels, CAI, catback, but no short throw shifter) is now available. Bring it on.
I gotta ask...coming from the perspective of previously owning a 2000 SS Camaro that is significantly quicker and faster than my MS3, do you really think that the MS3 can be improved on very much? I can understand lighter wheels, but I'm not sure what's wrong with the stock suspension unless you just want to lower it? I have heard that the CAI and catback exhaust are good for an additional 30 hp, but do you realize that for that to happen all they have to do is push the current torque curve a couple hundred rpm higher and the added hp is the result. Unless the torque is improved you won't feel any difference with the seat-of-the-pants-ometer. The shifter isn't perfect, but it is significatly shorter than most cars I have driven. Most of this stuff sounds like gimmick that is marketed to people that purchase based on the "bling factor" rather than function vs. cost.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, I just have never understood the concept of spending tons of money on an import when it will still be slower than most of stock American muscle cars. Comparing my MS3 to my Camaro I would quickly choose the MS3 even if I didn't have a need for the additional passenger space. The refinement is much better and the performance is way more than adequate for an exciting road trip.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:31 AM

Hows about slapping one of these in your engine bay?
http://www.bellengineering.net/Pages...ed3_parts.html

I personaly would not do it since I think the power output on the MS3 is perfectly fine and WHO NEEDS MORE ON THE STREET?!?!?!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:19 PM

guys, thanks for the tips with rpm. The guy in the dealer told me our car dont have timing belt. Is this true? I havent really peeked around under the hood to see what it got so I wouldnt know.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Something keeps the valvetrain in sync with the crankshaft. It would be a belt, chain or gears...not sure which, I would suspect belts.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread