Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond

All I know is that it is called a polycoat, which is a general term I know, and I have seen the cars coming out of the shop. It gave the paint a glass/wax feel. I have seen several other cars done and it seems to work. I was told to expect to wax it in about a year for looks rather than protection of the paint. I'm trying to find the website for the shop, it seems to have gone missing tonight. It sounds too good to be true, but it seems to be just that good...only time will tell.
My car goes in today to get a Paint protection kit installed. I talked to the owner of the shop (my roommate) about the polycoat and it is a joke. It is basically a high end wax job. With paints the way they are today, the Clear coat already has UV protection so that part is a waste of money, and the polycoat doesn't protect you from rock chips, bird poo (HIGHLY acidic), and other weather elements.

I will post pictures of the Paint Protection when it is done. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the polycoat?

Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM

41s? How long was the course and were they running stock? We don't start till May here.

your roommate is right...you have to wax your car each time to get the minor scratches out of it after you wash it anyways-especially when your in black car hell and even your shadow leaves a mark on the car.. It's pretty expensive stuff. You car order it on the net too.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: RedlineRN

41s? How long was the course and were they running stock? We don't start till May here.

your roommate is right...you have to wax your car each time to get the minor scratches out of it after you wash it anyways-especially when your in black car hell and even your shadow leaves a mark on the car.. It's pretty expensive stuff. You car order it on the net too.

Yeah, My roommate aquired this shop about a year ago and he has learned so much crap about tint/paint/film etc related stuff. He doesn't BS his clientel and makes sure everyone is happy.

The dealer offered me the Polycoat and I pretty much laughed in their face and said, you have got to be joking right?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Hey there, I just wanted let everyone know that , I have a HKS blow off valve and a set of 8000kHID replacement bulbs and acomplete pre-cut tint set for the mazdaspeed 3 for sale . Great prices! they areall brand new never used. I will let go for $230 for all three.

mike

Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM

the ms3 at autocross was running stock. the others have modifications as evidenced by loud muffler sound. But there are other stock cars there. Their daily driver, they just went out to have fun.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Dropped my K&N panel replacment in today. Definatly can hear the turbo spool and the BOV releasing back into the system. Not as nuch as when unrestricted of course. On the power side of things yes of course it felt better there the mental thing that a modification does to ya. But in reality i'm not so sure it's a notable improvement. IT is only a replacement after all. Plus when you give it the green to go from low speed wheelspin feels like wheelspin whether you got 230 to the ground or 237.... so who knows. Rotated my tires this past saturday as well. Have about 4900 miles on them now and big differenve from the two sets. Kinda said realy that they don't last longer than that. I'd like to be able to rotate them so many times i forget which are which. It seems these may ony see another swap >.< Still looking for people arouind the Hagerstown MD area for drive and meets. peace.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM

well guys I'm sorry to say I had to get rid of my mazdaspeed 3 today. I had way to many problems with it. plus theI'm expecting a second child. so two child seats in the speed would have been tight. i'm 6'0 feet so a child seat behind me would not be good. I know this is hard to believe but , I got what I paid for the car on a trade in. I'm sure you guys think I'm crazy , but it's true. Anyways I have some parts I never used so if your interested I will give you an insane deal on the parts. By the way I traded for a 2006 acura TL with 10,000 miles for 26,000. I miss the seats in the mazda. oh well. Did anyone see the new WRX hatch? looks a little like the speed in the rear.

mike

Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Draconius

My car goes in today to get a Paint protection kit installed. I talked to the owner of the shop (my roommate) about the polycoat and it is a joke. It is basically a high end wax job. With paints the way they are today, the Clear coat already has UV protection so that part is a waste of money, and the polycoat doesn't protect you from rock chips, bird poo (HIGHLY acidic), and other weather elements.
What is a "paint protection kit?"

The owner of the shop I did business with knows paint and I have seen the results of his work on other cars. A friend of mine had one done and the owners old van sitting behind his shop has an amazing paint job considering its age. Only time will tell, but so far I'm a satisfied customer. I know there are different levels/types of polycoats available. I wouldn't let a dealer touch my car.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond

ORIGINAL: Draconius

What is a "paint protection kit?"
It is a clear film that goes over your paint job. It is a skin basically.
http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-paint.html

Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Hmm...I have never seen a car with something like this installed, but I don't think I could ever be convinced to have it done. I hope it works well for you, let us know how it works over the long haul.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread