Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

Got a call from my dealer in Mpls, CAI and catback are available now thru Mazda dealers. I ordered the CAI ($399 retail) and the Catback is $729 (both w.o install). Hit up your dealers for an accessory catalog, there's more for the Speed3 then the Speed6 (Ha.).
Peace.....
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: dannewitzm

Got a call from my dealer in Mpls, CAI and catback are available now thru Mazda dealers. I ordered the CAI ($399 retail) and the Catback is $729 (both w.o install). Hit up your dealers for an accessory catalog, there's more for the Speed3 then the Speed6 (Ha.).
Peace.....
[align=left] [/align]
F that. WAY over priced and there is NO reason for this car to be any faster than it already is. The FWD can only handle so much. Waste of money IMO.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:08 PM

As a second thought to the guys getting the paint "protection" kit installed, I worked as a sales guy, then F+I at a local Ford store, and we sold the stuff regularly. You're blowing your $. The rust proofing, fabric protectant, leather treatment, paint, its all worthless. Seriously. I got it for free on the cars from the dealer, and I still passed. Good luck though, for the first day it looks great. Then, it looks like a speed 3.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM

I'm thiniking the CAi is for sound more then speed. I'm happy at 100 passing, and 70 in 6th. I don't need to go anywhere near 150mph, but getting to 100 that much quicker sure is fun. (Case in point is the Evo, a full second quicker, and I've never seen a guy frowning in one of those!)
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM

You can get the CAI for $310 online.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: dannewitzm

As a second thought to the guys getting the paint "protection" kit installed, I worked as a sales guy, then F+I at a local Ford store, and we sold the stuff regularly. You're blowing your $. The rust proofing, fabric protectant, leather treatment, paint, its all worthless. Seriously. I got it for free on the cars from the dealer, and I still passed. Good luck though, for the first day it looks great. Then, it looks like a speed 3.
[align=left] [/align]
Agreed to the dealer Polycoat. I personaly have the Paint Protection film that protects from rock chips.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Folks -

Again, I'm a newbee, so here is my experience with some of the "issues" mentioned earlier in this thread:
- Tailpipe - Black on the inside, but no black smoke (I chalk it up to the H.O. powertrain). However, I may be concerned aboutwhat might be depositing on the emission control components (catalytic converter, etc.)...
- Shifter - A bit "sticky", but not to the point of being a problem...
- Wheel "clunk" on hard acceleration -disable DSC and it disappears...
- turbo lag/hesitation - I felt it too, but disablingDSC seems to eliminate it (maybe due to rev limiter kicking in when wheels start to slip). Also, must use 91 Octane... with 93 or 89, performance seems to be "off" a bit.
- Steering response - initially was incredibly snappy, but dealer had tire pressure set at 38 PSI on all 4 tires. I corrected to 34 F and 32 R and itseems very appropriate now (these arethe manuf's recommended settings)...
- I'm 6'0" - driver's seat is close to being fully back... my biggest gripe is the pedal spacing... should have space out to the left some more, so there is more "room" for the right leg...
- No CEL so far... Let's hope it is a limited problem...
- Forecast is fora "snowy mix" in the Boston suburbs tomorrow, so I have changed back to my Blizzak winter tires... I hope they make a BIG difference...
My MPG averages from 23 to 27... I have over 6300 miles on the car now... When I baby it, I get 27. When I make myself "happy" on the hwy, I get about 23. Either way it's 5 to 7 MPG better then my Ford Escape that I traded for my MSSP3...
- I have NO EXPERIENCE in overclocking an engine... I plan to stick to the stock config., unless there is some compelling reason to upgrade & my extended warranty will remain in effect...? I feel like I can literally run circles around most cars typical the road today, so why mess with success...?
- Overall -- I Love This Car !!! I was convinced to buy it when I shifted into 2nd gear on the test drive...
- I have a "sport" and I paid approx. $170 UNDER sticker...
- I live west of Boston (Franklin,MA). Any others live nearby - pleasecontact me, so we can chat or meet personally... I got a wave from another MSSP3 driver on I-495 a few weeks ago, so if you're on this post - please don't hesitate to contact me!
- I'm 42, so my MSSP3 has fulfilled mymid-life crisis requirements!
- ZoomZoom !!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Welcome to the forum. As to your "hooked after 2nd gear"...that is about when I said...if you can get me good payments I drive out with this tonight.

needless to say the "deal" was not good enough so I walked home...then drove back the following day, got a better deal...then 2 weeks later re-financed, saved over $5000 on the car and am paying it off in 1 less year and paying the same. BOOOYAHHH!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Hey there Blackmica, welcome to the forums and such, hope you continue to have problem free days! ^^ I'm curious about your choice in fuel. Now maybe i've just pumped for so long, and always had choice 1-2-3 in front of me but if i recall theres 89-91-93 and 93 being of course premium unleaded. The mazdaspeed3 as far as I know needs to drink premium fuel and I've never thought twice about it. Do you say you're using mid grade fuel, the 91? If so, am i wrong, or why are you not using 93. I'm curious about whether or not i'm doing the right thing.

Also Blackmica, you mentioned your fuel economy as widely varrying due to driving habits. I have to wonder if i've never gotten above 22mpg because of my driving. Up till now i've blamed everything from the winter fuel to light saber wielding honda ninjas sent by the oil companies to mess with me. What if it's me...... a novel concept eh? I'm going to watch myself very very closely today. I also blame it on the short 6 miles of stop and go with a lil acceleration onto one mile of interstate that i do every trip to and from work.

Hey Draconius, I think you should pioneer a path down MS3 lane. You oughtto go for an all wheel drive Mazdaspeed3.

Forgive me for turning this into a blog! (;,

Old 04-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Ive found as i did with other turbo cars , if you get it in the to low RPM range in a particular gear and try to jump on it there will be the most noticable lag, otherwise if you keep the RPMs ina sweetspot it is pretty decent without to much lag. Better to downshift and find a sweet spot then to stay in a gear with real low rpms, Just what ive found over the years.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread