Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

I'm at almost 8,000 miles now -- no CEL, codes or performance problems experienced, to date. I picked up my car in mid-January... Maybe it came through the assembly line after MAZDA corrected some of the earlier (minor) items?? My most bothersome issue is the wheel hop, when the DSC and Traction Control kick in as the wheels break away. But when Idisable the DSC - it's not a problem.

For the $$'s I can't believe the performance I'm getting from this car.

I am still getting 24-25 MPG without trying (mostly Hwy driving) and when I really baby it, I've gotten 27-29 MPG.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Havent had any issues with CEL or such. Have the Mazda CAI intake for 2 weeks now, and I love it. I got an HKS BOV from cp-e.com to match and the sound is nice. It is a PAIN in the two hole to get the snap ring on the flange for the BOV, but, it was worth it. Not so sure about real "power" that I'm getting from the intake, I think my foot is a little heavier is all.....

Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Default Blitz dc IV turbo timer

can anyone help me install my turbo timer by blitz? all I need is the electrical diagram of the ignition. I need to splice into it because our cars dont have the turbo timer harness available yet and I think it's gonna take a long long time for it to become available. If anyone got the mechanic manual of speed3 please look it up for me. thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:06 PM

Bro,

I suppose I drive a bit conservative (especially since I got the ticket), but I don't go out of my way to baby it either. I also use the AC and find it works pretty good. Today was 89 here, and it kept the car comfortable. I should mention that my 24.9 number is according to the car's computer.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 AM

Had the purge valve and intake runner code/issues. Once corrected it's been fine for almost 3000 miles.
Started out getting around 23mpg, butlast 5 tanks have averaged 24.8mpg. I get on it now and then, but it's mostly just "normal" driving, not much highway, but no stop-n-go city either. The mpg's are real - car computer always says about 2 to 2.5mpg better than what it really is, but at least it's consistently "off" by the same amount so it's still somewhat useful...... The A/C kept up with the 89 degree heat fine for me as well........

Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Default blitz dc IV

I got my turbo timer with built in boost gauge installed. I have no qualms with the turbo timer works fine, but the boost gauge is changin drastically and it cant be accurate cause after converting hkpa to pis i says my peak boost was only 7psi. can anyone tell me this is true for ms3 and I was really hammerin it on the highway, went up to 100mph on almost 5000rpm. I paid $75 btw. I'm about to check the hose connection. and btw with this digital boost gauge the digits dont reflect instantaneously and it's erratic goin from -.78 to -.34 and back again. when it should read up to 2.5 hkpa. i didnt even see it go up to positive number. I found out my peak when i went to peak mode. Any explanation would be nice.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Default RE: blitz dc IV

Yes, I had heard the onboard computer mpg is not accurate. The next time I fill up, I will use the manual method and post my results.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Default mazdaspeed 3 CAI

I received my mazdaspeed CAI and the part number says GRMS 8M L30 is this the right cai for my speed3? cause from my understanding there is a cai for regular 3 and there is a cai for speed3. To those who bought a cai for speed3 please let me know the right part number. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:19 AM

My boost gauge is reading fine now. I'm registering 0.56 hkpa which is approximately 8psi. It probably took some time to work well but the next day after the install it was fine.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 AM

Yeah, I've had my speed 3 about three months. When I first went to pick it up, a CEL was on. They said that it was a minor misfire due to 'bad gas' in the tank, possibly the same from Japan. It hasn't happened since. About a month later someone decided to back into me in a parking lot, no clue who, but I should be getting that fixed quite soon. A little more troubling is the fact that the weather stripping on the frame on the driver's side has already fallen apart. Last week the little button you hit with your thumb to release the keys from the ignition just fell off. I now have to use something small to hit the release mechanism, and it's highly annoying but covered by warranty. Even more troubling is the fact that the dealership I purchased it from, at least the service department, seems to have little or no clue as to what the differences are in a normal 3 and a speed 3. I went in for an oil change last sat. and the guy actually asked, "Is that exhaust stock, it looks awfully big?" Then decided they had to charge me more cause it takes a quart more oil? It didn't the first time.... Additional - - I even tried to have windows tinted and a short throw shifter added. After four hours in the waiting room, the guy finally came in and said something to the effect of "we couldn't get the shifter to fit, we tried and tried, but it seems that the short throw for the speed 3 isn't available yet. Oh yeah, btw, we were so busy wasting our and your time that we forgot to do the window tinting." I even spent a full hour with the guy when he was ordering the short throw, trying to ensure it as a ms product FOR THE SPEED 3, and they still managed to not know what they were ordering. Now, I do love the car as far as driving it, but my experiences have, unfortunately, not been quite as troublefree as I was expecting. Am I alone in these regards? I know that the car is not to blame for the rear quarter damage or the dealership's ignorance, but it still seems to be a case of guilty by association, and the weather stripping and faulty buttons don't add up, especially when factoring in the base 3's fairly stellar rep in the interior quality dept. Sorry for the long rant, but I haven't been on in a while, and I'd like other's to share their opinions.........

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread