Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Default RE: blitz dc IV

Bloodand thunder:

I feel your pain. Blow for blow. I love the car as well, and my dealerships partsdepartment seems to be recruited from the list turned down by Spankys Septic Service. I have had a few things go wrong, but i'll blame it on new model bugs. And now that they're out i've been good a while. Yes someone out here feels the same as you. Just hang in there. And deal with another dealer to get your parts. check out http://www.trussvillemazda.com/ i've conversed in email with them and they are really in the know. They understand what your saying or else they make sure they figure it out. They are there to serve the customer. i like that. Also their prices are great, though shipping may hurt you depending on size. over $100 is free ship unless by truck, like a bumper or sumpin. Goodluck and peace out.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Default Recommendations for All Season Tires on the MazdaSpeed3

I have been doing a fair bit of searching online for info related to putting different tires on the MazdaSpeed3. Unfortunately, I haven't found much (I assume because no one has owned one very long).

I am looking to accomplish 2 goals with new tires:

1) Get a bit more of a comfortable ride (the impact from potholes, bumps, etc. on the stock ultra high performance tire is too much for me -- I am willing o sacrifice performance for comfort).

2) I need an all season tire for the winter (mild snow where I drive) as the stock tire is summer only.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated...

Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Recommendations for All Season Tires on the MazdaSpeed3

You mayhave to go to a smaller wheel and I believe a 17" is the smallest that will fit over your brakes. That alone, w/a higher side walled tire would improve your ride.
This subject has been beaten to death among us "regular" 3 owners. Idon't know if they would have a comparable size that would have the correct circumference, but I've been pretty happy w/my Falken ZE-512's. I am running the V rated ones, but they also offer an "H" rating thatwould ride better as well as offer better tread life. Consumer Reports just rated the ZE-512 "H" among their top choices... and they're cheap too.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

posted by MikeMS3
"I'll be selling it before the warranty is up. I kept with the standard. This car is impractical for the long haul. I can't say that i'll run it untill the wheel sfall off in 2025, i can't even say that it would get that far lol. Near warranty i'll go back to Mazda or Subaru and choose a non turbo, roomier vehicle with better mpg on 89 octane. Preferably something sub 15k prime for hauling kids and a 1 year pay off. This is my last fun car. Depressing is'nt it? "

If you're giong to give up on speed, you may as well go buy your plot in the bone yard too! LOL

I'm 44 and ditching my damn cheap, one year payoff, hauling the kids around, gas milage, 4 door sedan, for an MS3!!! Actually, I'm not ditching it. I'm gonna keep it and let my kids drive it so they can't touch my MS3!! LOL

Wait till you sit in that car you describefor a year and watch everyone Zoom, Zooming by while you sit in your nice conservative eco car, then come back here and post your message and I'll beleive it.

As far as extended warranties go,I've had mixed results. MyF-250 SD Diesel was build like a brick @#$% house. I bought the extended warrantyand never used it. My 1993 PontiacTA on the other hand, started falling apart at about 95k. Electric windows about 4 times. The steering column twice (took them 4days both times, must have been near impossible to fix). The steering column is what eventually made me trade the vehicle in. The column kept coming loose (tilt steering mechanism). When they went to fix it, it took days to get back together. So when I started to feel it getting loose again. I traded it in because my warranty was gone (4 days labor? No thanks!). I think that TA must have had about 15k in repairs done to it. I was glad I paid for the extended warranty. My ford truck though was a waste of money. That thing will run to 300,000 miles. What a beast.

That being said, when I buy my MS3 in a few days, I think I'm going to pass on the extended warranty. I can always purchase one later if i smell a rat in the works.

PS: Grats on bringing me out of my lurker status. This is my first post.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Default RE: Recommendations for All Season Tires on the MazdaSpeed3

Go to TireRack.com
When you identify your vehicle, they will walk you through the selection process for "Wheel & Tire Packages"... There is one type of Blizzak that comes in 18" - but it is sold out until September. I went with 17" Wheels with 17" Blizzaks. I might get lazy & deviate from my plan, but I intend to put them on & take them off, asthe weather forecast calls for snow, etc. I'm in the Boston area.
Good Luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: MicaBlackMSSP3

Late last week, I really forced myself to drive like a little 'ol lady (drove 55-60 with a Hwy speed limit of 65 and I let EVERYONE on the road pass me by...) and after a full tank, I calculated28.9 MPG. This was "extreme" driving -- the kind the Speed3 was precisely NOT made for. But it still amazes me that I can go Zero-to-60 in 5.8 seconds and sip fuel at almost 29 MPG, in the same car.

When they cut out the winter additives, I'll try it again and see if it gets better.

My bro is an operator at one of the Arco refineries here in the great northwest. He called me today and said he's finally done with his "turn around". I'm assuming that means they are making summer fuel now. So its on its way! [sm=happy046.gif]

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Draconius

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. I have to wash my car. But you really can't see it unless you are looking for it. It covers from about 8-10" back on the hood all the way to the bottom of the front lip
Sorry if I missed it. Can I ask what you paid for the chip protection? I called Elite Tinting in Everett; they'll do the clear bra for 300 and the window tint for 275. I don't actually have my car till Thursday, but am already planning some additions. I'm getting mine from the same place you did I think? University Mazda? Their claim to fame is the "Oldest Mazda Dealership in the US". I hope that means they have perfected customer service! I'm also having the dealership install the CAI onThursday beforeItake the car. $400 installed. Seemed reasonable.

I have to thank everyone for the greatinfo in here, I was reading along as I was shopping around for the MS3. I still have about 2 pages to read. Helped me out knowing something about them going in. It seemed like I knew more than some of the dealerships did. I was able to test drive a new MS3 with Nav and fell in love with the car. I wasn't interested in the nav system or the dealer markup sticker. So I shopped around a bit and actually drove aused one that someone was trying to getoutfrom underneath his payments. Then finally found out UMazda was selling them below MSRP. I did the whole deal over the phone. Gotta admit I like that better than getting tag teamed in the dealership. I test drove the EVO, WRX STI, GTO, Mustang GT, MS6and the Cobalt SS before settling on the MS3. I felt it had the best combination of power, handling and economy for me. The low insurance was a plus. For me, out of those other cars the EVO took a close second. Its a fun car, but for the amount of driving I'll be doing I couldn't justify it. Can't beat the price on the MS3 either. It'll probably win the most bang for buck award this year in some magazine, if it hasn't already done so. I'm pumped! I can't wait till Thursday. I'll be taking a much deserved day off Friday to start my break in period.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 AM

Hi everyone we ordered our True Red MS3 in early Febuary. We wern't expecting it till sometime in June. I was home sleeping last wednesday when the phone started ringing, so I get up and answer the phone.To my suprise it was the salesman telling me thatourcar had arrived the night before. The salesman was wondering when would be over to take delivery. I was still half asleep so was not very excited about it. That is until I hung up the phone and thenI had to call the wife to till her. Needless to say I ended up calling at least three more times wondering when she was gatting off work. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM wow what a car. Very excited about the car now we took delivery 5/09/07 we paid msrp on it.
P.S we also live in Washington State.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtuna

ORIGINAL: Draconius

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. I have to wash my car. But you really can't see it unless you are looking for it. It covers from about 8-10" back on the hood all the way to the bottom of the front lip
Sorry if I missed it. Can I ask what you paid for the chip protection? I called Elite Tinting in Everett; they'll do the clear bra for 300 and the window tint for 275. I don't actually have my car till Thursday, but am already planning some additions. I'm getting mine from the same place you did I think? University Mazda? Their claim to fame is the "Oldest Mazda Dealership in the US". I hope that means they have perfected customer service! I'm also having the dealership install the CAI onThursday beforeItake the car. $400 installed. Seemed reasonable.
Sorry I missed this post. My clear bra cost me cost of the kit because my roommate owns a shop. Different kits will cost different prices and quality goes with cost. He charges anywhere from $600-$1100 depending on the car. My car came from San Diego so everything out here is $$$. My tint on the car could also have been more but my roommate helped me on that too

Old 05-28-2007, 05:13 PM

I was just wondering if some one can answer a quick question I just got my new speed but don’t get it till tomorrow hopefully. I was wondering if the GT with the Nav has the MP3 HU in it. Also for all those wondering what I paid, I got it for invoice. It is the speed3 GT with Nav in the Cosmic Blue. I hope I like this car I am giving up my Audi for this one I hope it is as much fun.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread