Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SPEED3 Owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Default RE: SPEED3 Owners thread

I have actually had to wait to take mine tommrow is my first time where my scheduele dosent demand me having my car so I can finally get to mazda for my CEL issue.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Agree about the tranny. 1-2-3 seems tight and clunky. Also, the clutch is agressive and "bites" quickly. I assume this has something to do with handling the torque. Last week, I was trying to pull out of a parking lot on a very steep hill. I had to stop just at the top, and of course someone pulled up behind me, and I mean right on my azz. As I was exiting, I also had to make a sharp right hand turn. Well the clutch bit, and I barked the tires, and kind of "danced" out of there. I am sure the people that saw it thought I was showing off, but I felt sort of stupid. LOL!!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM

I feel your pain. I have had a similar instance and i am very very self consious about my driving. Driving in a passion and nothing to be taken lightly in my opinion. THe clutch does engage sharply but I think its normal it's more track clutch than a smushy commuter clutch. I like it but i have'nt fully gotten used to it. Also in first like you barked them, if the DSC is'nt off it'll kick in and bring all your seemingly showy but in reality grief to a quick end. I tried to see if i could lightem up rolling second with a clutch dump which is'nt good but worth a try once or twice in a cars life. WHAM. I realized just how closely that cars computer is watching out for me!! (^,^) Any who it's in the shop now guys/gals and I hope to have more info this eve, though they need it to stop raining. I put in in for a whole host of issues ( see previous posts). Untill; then keep on smoking SI's and i hope your cars fair better than mine. Millage correction for the record......1420.....tooo early....owww. Peace.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7490/D61EC5F54BFF4B15A804EB23C388B59F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2006, 01:15 PM

I just got a call from the dealer. Yeah, it's the "purge valve". The part is on back order from Mazda, and won't be available until January. So (as we already know), this is a problem across the board. The good news, is that it won't hurt anything to drive the car, so I am going today at lunch and pick it up.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Well I guess that must be the problem, because my car drives fine

Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 PM

Hey guys just checking in. I FINALLYgot my Silver speed3 gt on saturday and so far so good. I've only put approx 220 easy miles on it though. Can anyone tell me more about where the purge valve everyone is having trouble with is located exactly? Also I have been looking for a mazda shop manual for the speed3. I have talked to the service guys and they werent sure if they could get them or not. The reason I ask is I would like a a more complete wiring diagram that I could get for a base 3. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Check out my luck with mazda so far. https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_30615/tm.htm

Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM

I've been out of the loop for a few days and, geeze, what a lot of new stuff going on with the MS3!! I got mine on "election day" and have about 4100 miles on it now. No CEL problems so far and the shifter seems to be wearing in a bit. Most gears were sticky at first, but now it's only 6th. I like the fast clutch, so no complaints there. Brakes don't squeal either, but the fronts throw out a hell of a lot of dust onto the wheels.
Sometimes I think it's not making all the power as it does at others, but I may be experiencing the DSC intervening on crappy road surfaces.
All told, I don't have time to pend as much as I want to driving it.

VASpeed3

Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: surfgroove

I had a check engine light twice myself. I cleared it myself the first time (at about 400 miles), hoping it was a loose gas cap...to no avail as it was back on at 800 miles. The dealer found a code P0441 (purge solenoid valve) malfunction. The tech, a friend of mine from when I worked for Mazda, said he has seen quite a few 3s with that repair in the past, this was his first Speed3 incident however. I traded a SP23 (that replaced an '04 STI) on my Speed3 (never had ANY issues at all to return to the dealer with that car, I just let the erratic operation of the Autodown driver's window become a part of the car's personality,even though there was a countermeasure part to fix it...). I also bought an early production 3 (so early it didn't even have the 2.3 decal on the front fender) that my ex-wife still has, also an almost perfect automobile reliability-wise. I work as the service manager at an Infiniti dealer, so I drive demos most of the time, but get a chance to drive almost everything out there...I missed the velocity of my old STi, but loved the practicality and especially the interior style and quality of the 3 over the Subarus (although I miss the bitchin' staccato exhuast of the flat four...) so the Mazdaspeed3 is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered...

mine is in the shop with 5 codes one includes the purge solenoid valve. I only 800 miles on her. I was wondering if anybody has had wheel hop when getting on it in 1st and 2nd gear. I replaced my evo IX for this car, it just seemed more practical. altough I miss it i'm glad i traded for the mazdaspeed 3 , it has been in the shop since saturday. I was wondering where or if the tuning package is available for this car. I found a after market intercooler for it claiming to add 20hp and 20ftlb of torque. I'M SO TEMPED. I do have one gripe about the car. the bose is weak on bass for 222 watts.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 PM

I agree on the stereo, but you must admit it's very clear. All that power is'nt going for volume or boom, it's crystal clear. But who's listening to the radio when you busy laughing at the GTI in your rear view?!?! DUDE intercooler???? No snap?? Please link to this of give phone number anything that's great something other than the marked up stuff mazda plans. W00T

Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 AM

dam va you dont play around 4100 miles already sh___t. Lucky you no CEL problems.

Quick Reply: SPEED3 Owners thread