Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Stability Control and Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Default RE: Stability Control and Traction Control

Virg,
Thanks for the info. I called one place around here and they said they wouldn't take used tires because of liability, guess I'll keep trying. Yeah when I was looking for tires I was surprised that the Goodyears are so much, more expensive than some of the other tires people are recommending. Maybe I am looking at the wrong version of the RSAs but they seemed REALLY expensive.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lev
Damn Virg. I could feel your anger in that post. $293!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the same tire!!!!! ...

...When they treat you like a complete idiot, it just makes you want to punch something or someone.
I guess it was around late summer 2006 when I went there, but that"s what they quoted me.V rated RS-A"s were available elsewhere for around $160 (best price I found @ the time.) I told the guy that and... nothin'. He wouldn"t budge, not that I was going to buy another set anyway, especially having to pay all the add-ons that Discount Tire would"ve done most of for free.
Damned right I was angry, Lev. I"m not usually violent, angry maybe, but not violent.That day could have been one of the few exceptions in my life.
I called the CS line back afterI got home and warned them that they will get nothing from me ever again. That afterthree sets of failed Good Year tires on three different cars (my Mitsu Van, my wife"s Saturn and the Mazda,) I was done with them as a company.Three of the GY's on my wife's car blew out in less than 3 yrs. BLEW OUT!!! EXPLODED!!! Sidewall GONE!!! Steel belts coming out in shreds!!MY WIFE"S CAR!!!
Ialso told them thatI wasa member ofmanydifferent car forums and would have nothing good to say about them or their product(s.)
They apologized, in a corporate sort of way, I hung upand to this day haven"theard from them again. I didnot feel vindicated, but I have lived up to my word. I slam them at every chance I get. They are overpriced, badly designed and built tires in my opinion, and terrifically unsafe too. I"m sure their racing tiredivision is much more aware of these issues and don"t often have these kinds of problems. But their street tires SUCK!!!
I also got on the Mazda CS site and told them what I thought of their choice in OE tires. "Guess they don"t listen too good neither. [8D]
It was then that I realized for the first time in my naive life that business in this country makes no sense at all. It"s just business. They sell whatever to makemoney. We buy becase we often havelittle choice.
Those feelings have only multiplied since as my own 100+ yr old, private, family-owned business is getting more corporate, now being run by an ex-oil CEO, since the "next generation" didn"t want to take over the business. "Sorry Wes, but after my personal experiences working for Exxon in the "90"s, I have no love for oil execs either.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

kl, if worse comes to worse, there is always Craigslist.com? Or post "em here, but we all know about RS-A"s so I wouldn"t expect much.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Virg,
There is a place in town that specializes in used tires and even he suggested craigslist saying that I would get more that way than anywhere else. He was nice enough to say if I bought the tires online just to have them shipped directly to him and he'd mount and balance them..but I digress.

A little disappointed in having plunked down the $$$ for a car then having to turn around replace the rubber. I've almost finally decided on the Kumho Ecsta ASX unlesspeople think otherwise. (My primary concerns are wet/bad weather handling and costwith a secondary emphasis on performance)

Thanks to all in this forum, this is a great place for lots of info!

BTW-any ideas as to how much I could get for the RSAs?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I am currently running the ASX's and cannot recommend them.I do think that they are more old school and do nothave a lot of silica in the tread compound. The amount of silica used is what often makes or breaks a tire in the all-season traction catagory.
I slip around when it"s wet, especially if it"s early in the storm. Once I nearly slid through an intersection as the brakes locked up... and I have the ABS option!! Well, it was an option in "04. I"m not happy with these either.
By the same token, I recently put a set of Kumho KH-21"s (new model for Kumho) on my wife"s Saturn and she loves them.First time that"s ever happened. They replaced another set of Kumho"s that she had on the car for 3 yrs that she hated.