Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Starting Issues Updated

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:18 PM
Default Starting Issues Updated

I have a 2012 Mazda 3. Never any issues really, and been running fine. Today I went out and started the car. It ran for about 1 minute or so ( i did notice a little jumpiness to the RMP gauge), then it died. I tried a couple times after to start the car, and it dies about 1/2 second after turning over. The car sat for about 15-20 minutes while i was doing a little research, and I went back out to try again. This time the car ran about 10 seconds and died again, and once again any time directly after it would die after about 1/2 a second. Any good ideas of what this could be. I thought about the battery at first, but if the battery is bad would it even start or just do that clicking thing when trying to turn over.

I used a code reader. Nothing was in the regular code section, but in the pending code section was P0101 (Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance) code.

The Fuel system was showing OL during the short time of running. Once the car died it went to CL.

We replaced the battery. once both terminals were attached the car started, but the key was NOT in the ignition. This was very confusing. We then got it off after placing the key in and turning it on and then off. I tried to start the car again and it ran about 1 minute and died and went right back to dying right away when trying to start. Appreciate your help and if you need anymore info let me know i can try to gather it. I have a reader

Old 04-06-2023, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Unplug the MAF sensor, start the car and see what happens, if the MAF was faulty, and causing the problem, the PCM will detect its unplugged and run in a compensation mode.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:59 AM

When I unplugged it, the car runs! Does not shut off. Seems to run a little rough and the dash shows the following lights. When i plug it back in boom it dies again, and once unplugged will run again. I did just replace the air filter that is under this device as i just noticed it was nasty.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:01 AM

Also do you think its an issue that the car started on its own with a new battery. Thats the biggest thing im weirded out over.