Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Sway bars for Gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:42 PM
Default Sway bars for Gen 2

Hey guys,

I've tried doing my own research and had no luck

what is the difference between the mps/speed and non-mps/speed after market sway bars besides thickness,

in other terms could i fit an mps/speed sway bar to a standard 3

cheers for the help

Old 05-14-2020, 11:30 PM

From your other thread.
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...rs-3-bl-44457/
Originally Posted by Danann Saunders
Hey guys,

So upgrading my 2011 2.0L's suspension to coilovers cause i blew a needed to replace 2 struts and mazda quoted me 1200Au for parts, so i got some BC racing BR's for 1500 and figured while im there i should put new sway bars in

Any recommendations?

Im looking at racing beats

But i was hoping for tubular but cant find any for the 2.0 i know i need new links at the same time

Originally Posted by Callisto
FYI. There is no performance difference between a tubular and a solid bar. This is simply the choice of the manufacture and the engineer that designed the specif anti- roll bar.
This is where many get confused with sizing because of the two types which can not be used for comparing specifications of performance based on O.D.

I would recommend that you talk directly with the manufactures or authorized dealers of the anti-roll bars you are considering. You will need to tell them your intended driving use and all your suspension upgrades along with the tires you use.
Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Whiteline have a good reputation for sway bars.
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ling-bl-44461/

Originally Posted by Danann Saunders
Hey guys,

Im looking at improving my suspension system, ive already ordered coilovers to replace a damaged shock, and wasnt sure what else i could do,

Is it worth doing the control arms? and where should i go?
and besides Sway/Anti-roll bars
what other components make up the suspension system that i could look at replacing.

I'm building this for a bit of fun and out of interest ride comfort is not something im super concerned about, hopefully tracking it one day

regards,
​​​​​​​I would suggest that if you already are installing coil overs then see how that works and then look for a performance upgrade aftermarket bar and not to a OEM sway bar from other model Mazda's. See explanation of O.D. about sway bars in other responses you asked on this subject!.

I might also add that you have not mentioned the condition of the suspension bushings? If replacement in polyurethane are available and ride quality and a little more road noise is not important changing to them will improve the steering and the suspension reaction noticeably.
Not changing the bushings that are even partially worn when changing to upgraded or performance level dampening parts and anti-roll bars will exponentially wear faster the already marginally worn bushing.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:55 AM

I will be replacing bushings, but I'm mostly just curious as what the difference between the swaybars besides thickness, is it shape, or the diameter of the sway bar link holes,

for example whiteline offers a 27mm rear sway bar for the mps 3 bl
https://www.whiteline.com.au/product...MR88Z&sq=16171
as well as a 24 for non mps bl
https://www.whiteline.com.au/product...number=BMR78XZ
I contacted them and the said they 27 mm will not fit fwd 3 but the 24mm will fit a FWD 3

which left me with more questions as the 3 mps is fwd

and no explanation as to why

Last edited by Danann Saunders; 05-15-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 AM

Ok.. you are not reading clearly what I posted about the bars O.D.
Try again.
As for the shape..... generally speaking without going into every platform ever created to drive......
The shape of a bar in most all cases has nothing to do with it ability to work as an anti-roll chassis bar.

If the manufacture who offers the parts say it won't fit then I would pass on them unless you think you have the ability to modify a part to work that is none applicated for the purpose or car originally designed to fit and work on. Sway bars are more complicated then most think. When a bar is designed there is a lot of math evolved besides the point of simple fitment..

I strongly recommend based on IMHO your ability I have gathered participating on a few threads with you NOT to stray from anything on the suspension of your MAZDA that is not made specifically for it!