Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Tire related question (TPMS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Default Tire related question (TPMS)

Okay I'm about to need new tires soon. I don't know a whole lot about TPMS but I do understand how they work and whatnot.

My question is: one of the optional things you can buy with the tires is a sensor rebuild kit for your TPMS sensors. The car does have over 35,000 miles on it, but since it's only a year old, I see no point in getting this done.

But I want to see what you guys think.

Get it done or not?
How often should I get it done, or is it a pointless service at all?

Just figured I'd ask... kinda like how the dealer recommends a 3,000 mile oil change when we all know that 3,000 miles with today's oil technology is overkill.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM

If they are still working leave them, in my eyes you can not fix something that isn't broke.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Make sure the tire shop is careful when they change your tires, I just put tires on my wifes 06 Mitsubishi Endeavor and when the tire tech used the metal pry bar to install the tire he crushed the TPMS sensor. Atleast the shop told me about it, not like I wouldn't have noticed(Waring light) but the Mitsubishi dealer charges $106.00 per sensor which includes the dismount and remount and balance of one tire.

Last edited by vlstellato; 06-08-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 PM

It's discount tire so I'm pretty sure they're aware.

But if I did have a situation where the sensor got crushed... oh buddy I'll be demanding a new sensor 'til the sun goes down, yeah buddy.

and siber: yeah that was my thought. regardless of the mileage, battery life is battery life... and since they're only a year old, why bother? so the sensors should be fine.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Default Tpms

If you'r system was working OK when you took in in for new tires leave it alone. Discount tire is like any tire shop. It profit for them. I found the charge on my bill from discount tire and the tec never touched the sensors. Needless to Say I hade them remove the charge.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM

They're paying for it, but it has to go to dealer. And that is a pain in the a** because we have to leave the vehicle or wait in the lovely service lobby and have salesman trying to get your to trade in your vehicle!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Yeah I'm sure the sensors are fine. Now... NEXT time I go in for tires I'm sure it'll be time to get that crap worked on. But yeah you're right...

...just like how when I took the car in to get an estimate of my wreck damage... they tacked on optional maintenance... including a brake flush (WTF that crap lasts forever... not happening!), a trans flush (necessary maintenance but not NEARLY AS EARLY as 35,000 miles), air filter (typical... it might actually need it... I've only replaced mine once), and a cabin filter (really? REALLY? and even if I did it's an easy swap to do myself... NOT worth the $90 they wanted to charge).

But yeah... all to earn a buck.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Question

Originally Posted by knucklehead11
Yeah I'm sure the sensors are fine. Now... NEXT time I go in for tires I'm sure it'll be time to get that crap worked on. But yeah you're right...
I don't understand why you're worrying about it at all, TPMS systems should work for at least eight to ten years. FWIW, we have a 2003 with TPMS that has ~125,000 miles on it and the sensors have yet to be touched.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM

you need new tires already with just 35,000 miles? do you go off-roading with your mazda 3 lol

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I don't understand why you're worrying about it at all, TPMS systems should work for at least eight to ten years. FWIW, we have a 2003 with TPMS that has ~125,000 miles on it and the sensors have yet to be touched.
Oh, I thought the typical sensor life/battery life in the sensors were only a few years. Good to know!

and1ball: Yes I do. I have the factory Toyos. I didnt get them rotated and balanced in good time when they were new, so they're all cupped kinda bad. Plus, the rear tires are at 2/32 of a inch. The fronts are 4/32.

Quick Reply: Tire related question (TPMS)