Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Tire size

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Default RE: Tire size

thank u virg !!

do u mean I need to take the wheel off the car to look behind it ?? please excuse me that im not an expert in cars and dont have much knowledge

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Look in the OWNER's manual first to see if it's listed under the "specs" pages.I did not since my wheels are already off the car.Then remove a wheel if necessary.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:50 AM

The wheel size info is inside the spokes on the backside of the wheel. You need to remove 1 wheel to see it (the brakes block your view from the backside with the wheel installed)

To my knowledge all of the 17" wheels for the 3 were 6.5" wide.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Yes sadly they areto mine too. But he has 16's and I believe they are all 6.5's too.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM

Hi
Thank you guys for all the info,

So finally 2day I had the energy to remove one wheel and look at the rim size it is 16X6.5
and my tire size is 225/50R16 .

is this really dangerous ??! because I'm going for a long trip on thursday and you got me really scared and confused now!! ... should I go change them immediately or could it wait because it would push me financially if I change them now.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

hindico,
What are you confused about??
The simple math is this: 225mm/25.4mm (/inch)= 8.86" and it's on a 6.5" wheel.8.86"- 6.5"= 2.36" which is the difference in width between the width of the wheel and the width of the tire. Now, divide that by 2 (/2) and you get 1.18". That's what s hanging overeach edge of the wheel. See what I mean now?
That is pushing it, especially with a 50 series 16" tire.A 70 or 78 (80) series tire in that width would handle a 6.5" wheel better, but that's another story, so let's not go there.
The 50 series is the "aspect ratio" which means that the sidewall is = to 50% of the tread width. In your case 112.5mm (225/2= 112.5) or 4.43".
As for your trip, the car has been running on those tires long enough to wear out, so would it be safe enough? Yes, I'd say so.
Should you get them replaced w/something a little narrower (205 or 215's?) Yes! As soon as is conveniently possible, I would say.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 AM

hey virg,
thank you for you efforts, highly appreciated man,

as for your last message, I looked up many tire sites on the internet looking for the rim range for the tire size I have 225/50r16 and all of the said that the range is 6-8 inches. so why would it be dangerous if the tire manufacturers say its ok ?? I mean what could happen ?! or is it just the shape???

here have a look at the sites that I looked up and look for the rim range for my tires:

http://www.kumhousa.com/print_specs.jsp?pid=712
http://www.michelinman.ca/specs/pilo..._a_s/3332.html

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of it would depend largely on the overall diameter, aspect ratio and tire type chosen.Too much tire roll-over and sidewall flex for such a narrow sidewall. It increases the lateral loads on the tire and wheel exponentially.
A narrow walled performance tire would not do well on a rim that is too narrow or too wide. A std touring, or grand touring tire in a 70-78% aspect ratio might do better. Plus, the overall diameter of the wheel would have an effect too. A larger(re: taller) wheel could potentially deflect more than a shorter wheels and help to remove some of the stressful side loads asked of the tire. But ideally, you want a well matched wheel and tire, one where the tire does the work and not the wheel.
Did you notice how they recommend a wider wheels with the lower aspect ratios using the same width tire tread?
And with a higher load rating, say a 91V vs. an 87V,you havea stiffer rubber compounded molded into the sidewall and shoulder inserts.
I would never intentionally put a 225 on a 6-6.5" wheel. To me that's asking for trouble, though physically I'm sure it can be done.
Mine (225/45-17's) are on 7" wide wheels which is the narrowest I would ever go. And I only did that to save some unsprung weight vs. a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel.
W/the technology always improving, there is a ton of information to learn about and consider when choosing a tire these days. The factory engineers develop the suspension of the car with a particular type and size of tire in mind, not thattheir choicecan't be improved upon. I'm not saying that. They are designing cars w/compromises for the bad, to the average, to the spirited/performance driver because they don't know ahead of time who's going to buy and be driving that car. But the tire has to work together with all the of geometry and suspension components, today more so than ever before. There is a ton of science that goes into a modern day tire, maybe more than any other single partof the car itself. That science needs to be respected or trouble can certainly occur.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:53 AM

thanks man, I will change my tires soon, I am going with the 205/55r16 ..any recommendations would be appreciated ....

Anyways, I have a European car and I dont live in europe, so today I was looking for wiper blades and could not find ones that fit my car even at the dealership as the arms of the wiper on my car come with a pin not a hook. what are the kind of wipers that u have in the US. I'm considering ordering them online.

my best