Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Default Transmission Flush

What have you done with your cars transmission?

A power flush or just a drain and fill......?

At MisterTransmission all they did is a drain and fill I asked about a power flush and they said dont do it....

Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM

I had my trans on a 2003 Mustang automatic flushed with a machine once and the performance improved. On a Mazda 3 I have no clue. And if you have a manual then you shouldn't even worry about it. Really all you need to do is drain and fill. Someone else chime in with me though if there is any sort of filter involved. My Mustang had a replaceable filter and doing so was necessary.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM

A few points about transmission "flushes":
  • Not one manufacturer in the world recommends having an automatic transmission in one of their cars "flushed"
  • Spend enough time on the web and you will see countless stories that say something like, "My car was running great but my dealer strongly recommended that I have my transmission flushed; it failed three weeks later and now I need to buy a new transmission."
  • Transmission flushes are big-time money-making services for dealership and "quick-lube" places alike
  • Transmission flushes often contaminate transmissions with the wrong fluid and/or their operator uses a "one type fits all/universal" fluid. The problem is that those fluids don't actually match the requirements of any manufacturer and are often detrimental to the health fo the transmission.
  • Transmission flush machines actually force the fluid they pump in the opposite direction the transmission was designed for; this can damage sensitive valves and such.
  • If someone "recommends" a transmission flush; don't walk, drive away as fast as you can.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM

I just had done whatever the dealer does. If it fails, it's their problem.

And ditto to most of what Shipo said. I'm helping a lady with some of her vehicles and called around to some tranny places. Some do a 'flush' but most say to never do one. It pushes cold fluid into a hot tranny and screws up seals. You also run the risk of them really screwing up your tranny lines when they connect their machine to it. Additionally, when places do the 'flush' they do not drop the pan. So the old filter stays in and nobody ever takes a peek at your tranny's internals.