Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Default Turbo

Why hasn't anyone figured out a way to use the air conditioner to cool the air coming from the turbo, or even to cool the intercooler?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Turbo

probably cuz the air condition is run off an accessory fan, which draws engine power

Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM

That would destroy your engine, your compressor, and bog the hell out of your engine.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: polarbear00

Why hasn't anyone figured out a way to use the air conditioner to cool the air coming from the turbo, or even to cool the intercooler?
Not gonna lie, I laughed a lot at that statement, and maybe even cried a little inside....

First off, the air conditioner only has to cool air that is plowing into the cabin, which doesn't need to be at 16 psi... If you have a CAI and an intercooler, you'll already have colder air going into the engine.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM

haha... this reminds me of this guy at work... he drives a 98 or something sunfire, in alright condition. and today he was telling me what he wants to do to the car
-replace every body panel with aftermarket ones (bodykit, etc)
-buy a twin turbo engine for $6000....

im like, ya, good luck with that.... with those twin turbo's, you'll blow the **** outta something.... most likely ur engine...

Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Hey thanks for being TOTAL a$$holes, I really appreciate that. It was a legit question, I think that it's reasonable with the CO2 spray systems out there that maybe there could be a redirected air cond. vent that could be used to briefly cool the intercooler.....

I'm done with this website

Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Hey thanks for being TOTAL a$$holes, I really appreciate that. It was a legit question, I think that it's reasonable with the CO2 spray systems out there that maybe there could be a redirected air cond. vent that could be used to briefly cool the intercooler.....

I cried once again... Man, the interCOOLER does not need extra cooler seeing how it purpose is to be cool to bring in cool air to the turbo.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:47 AM

dude...
would you rather us be ******** and laugh at your idea now,
or after you try this out and blow your engine to ****??

and we werent being ********, we were being serious....

Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb]I was going to mention the CO2 thing as I just learned about that myself recently.
And, I have to agree. It may not be the world's greatest idea, but it IS an idea... one that deserves a decent, respectable answer.
Ialso believe that @ least some of the otherresponders misunderstood youroriginal question.
As I read your post it seems that what you want to do is direct, or redirect some of the A/C'd air to help cool the intake charge. Sure! Why not? Drag racers have been doing that for years! You might also look into cooling the fuel before it enters the fuel rail.
Now, that said, would it work?
There might not be enough volume or velocity in the air movement from the A/C system to overcomethe power the compressor will take away from the engine to cool the intercooler. In other words,it may be a penny wise, but pound foolish way to do it. Also, a turbo makes power in the mid and upper rpm's and the A/C, effectively, takes mostly low-end power away, so you might be cutting out your available off the line power... unless you could find a way to only have the A/C cut in @ say above 3500rpm. That shouldn't be too hard.
Without knowing, I'm willing to bet though that this has been tried and abandoned @ some point.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 PM

i have heard of people just taking the washer fluid sprayer off of the hatch and rerouting it to spray the intercooler before they ran the quarter mile, but that idea with the a/c was f**king nuts

Quick Reply: Turbo