Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Default RE: Turbo

I promise to not be an *******. I think some of these guys may have taken your idea the wrong way. I believe you mean to use the AC toblow on the intercooler. And that my friends is NOT a stupid idea. The Co2, water spray, NOS all perform a very real function to aid in lowering the core temperature in the intercooler. Obviously lending to pressurized air at a lower temp. So from here i say it'd be easier to do one of those really than totear the interior apart and basically rebuild a few things to make one of the dial settins control air to a duct that would go to the intercooler. And nobody can tell you you're idea is stupid. It's valid. Us topmounters will inevitably make a run or two at our tune with a box fan feeding the intercooler to simulate the air from driving. Some people will fan it spray it and anything else to pump up the power for that dyno chart. But i digress. The truth it that you could do that, the piping and such and get it to blow in the intercooler. But air molecules moving at a high rate of speed are of lower temps than those moving slowly. I'm bring up 9th grade earthspacescience here. So the massive air movement fromt he vehicle may be more cooling than slower cooled air. I'm tlaknig about how for instance the Speed3/6 is fedd air directly down through the intercooler where your setup would be blowing on it. Also you'd have to rely on this it'self. I can't imagine you mixing that A/C at somepoint with outside air, to make any sort of gain. Butt or floor dyno. So it'd need to be sealed to have only cold a/c air.

As Virgin pointed out the drain of power from the belt/chain driven compressor would probably have a larger negative impact than the postive of that slightly cooler core. And also on top of all of this, if it were efficient and there were kits and everyone was doing it, having a Mazda3 variation you have the WORST vehicle to perform this with. Our A/C is pretty weak. My 94 Protege would chill my peg thermometer at the vent to 34-36 degrees. And that my friend is F'd UP. We never had any issues with it's performance which not that i'm older and wiser i can't believe that some part of it did'nt freeze up. Now i get to change it in my Speed3 down to a bone chilly 60. Anyway polarbear, i commend you for having a thought cross your mind and throwing it out there. I think after some thought or even a look at the system you'd begin to think the smae things weithout the help from flamers. And thanks to Virgin for once again keeping his cool in responding. Get it, keeping his COOL!

Peace out with your piece out.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wsoape281
i have heard of people just taking the washer fluid sprayer off of the hatch and rerouting it to spray the intercooler before they ran the quarter mile, but that idea with the a/c was f**king nuts
Ummm. Were you the guy that said that about the Wright brothers and their flying machine too?
Many ideas that have worked out well in the end have been called nuts. Just look @ the flux capacitor!

The man has an idea.It deserves our BEST opinions, not dissing. I have never read anything to say that it HAS been tried, but why not? The first guy to run an extended coiledfuel line through a dry ice bucket was probably laughed @ too, y'know? Then beat the **** out of a few competitors that he'd maybelost races too before and voila, suddenly it's an astounding, ingenius idea.
The man (polarbear) is thinking. Give him a break. From where I stand, that's more than many ppl do these days. I work w/a lot of ppl that are paid to think, but in fact can't think their way off of a wet toilet seat.
What if he was brave enough to take the time to try it, Builtthe duct work, installed a timer, off-on switchand it gained him another documentable 20hp. Would you call it looney then?

ORIGINAL: MikeMS3
Anyway polarbear, i commend you for having a thought cross your mind and throwing it out there. I think after some thought or even a look at the system you'd begin to think the same things without the help from flamers. And thanks to Virgin for once again keeping his cool in responding.

Here, here!!!
In fact, I saw this post a day or twobefore the flamers came on and had meant to reply, but obviously I was too late. I hope we haven't lost polarbear to this. That would be the shame. I am sorry i didn't get involved sooner.
And some of you other guys: We've all talked before. You all know me by now. I wouldn't say these thingsif I didn't mean them. Take it easy on the newbs, OK? Remember, we were all there once.
Having an idea, even one viewed as weak by the masses, is much better than having no ideas at all, right?

Old 05-27-2007, 02:16 PM

the dry ice idea came before intercoolers when truckers were perfecting the turbo design. remember, turbocharging was around for a few years before people picked it up for street cars. i think they have about done all that they can do for it. lag has even been cut back a lot from the first turbos to the modern turbos and banks and mazda have both found their own ways to eliminate lag altogether. the bulk of the turbo innovations from the last few years have been shot down with the exception of a few. the things that we use today, ie. ceramic spools, exhaust wrap, intercoolers, fans, boost controls, etc., have all been around for years and could have had more technology dropped in, but they are already perfected to a level that can't go much further. like was said earlier on in the thread, the air around the car is moving faster than the motor from the a/c could possibly blow, so i don't see how that could work any better than a simple spray bottle.

i mean, just look at all of the people that are trying to strap leaf blowers to the intake to supply boost. do you think that if that worked, they would have some form of mass production aside from the little gay *** electric superchargers?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 PM

lol, is thread even serious?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 AM

i don't know anymore.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 AM

Well, wsoape.. virgin.. and mike tried to be nice and give the idea some thought, the rest of us were just dicks and knew it wouldn't happen.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TMR Net Shark

Well, wsoape.. virgin.. and mike tried to be nice and give the idea some thought, the rest of us were just dicks and knew it wouldn't happen.
[font=californainfb]Hahaha!
Yup, that's right. I'm still here, butI think polarbear gave up..

Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 PM

i think i was a little brutal up front but then i kind of let off in later posts. not a whole lot of logic in the original thread, though,because to cool it with a/c lines, you would have to build that much more pressure with the compressor and probably have to add a second condenser. or, to cool with a vent, you would have to completely case the intercooler and just use a fan motor to cool the intercooler. i think that the current system is the best so far or else someone would have found a better one already. but, then again, you never know.