Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
LPG
Default Valet Key

I need to get a valet key for my 09 so i can install an automatic starter.
my car did not come with a Valet key.
My dealer told me he'd have to order it and there was a charge.

Has anyone else had to purchase a Valet key, and if so about what were you charged for it?

Thanks Again.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

There is no "valet key" available for the 3. A valet key is one that will open the door and start the engine, but will not open the trunk, etc.

You can however very easily purchase a new transponder key just like the ones you have already and program it yourself (as long as you have two working keys). The key itself should run you around $22, and if you order from www.onlinemazdaparts.com Jason will cut the key for free. You can actually have up to eight programmed keys for your car.

As for programming if you have two working keys you can program in the new one yourself in about 15 seconds. I'm not kidding, literally 15 seconds. If you only have one working key then your dealer must plug into your car's computer to clear out the existing codes and put in new ones (it's a security feature to keep valets, etc. from making more keys from the one they have), and for that the dealer will charge you. For this reason I recommend that everyone purchases a programs a third key.... that way if they lose one of the three they still have two left and can just buy another one and program it themselves.

Here's the info. you need for the key
-Standard transponder key ('04-'08): Part number F1Y1762GX. MSRP-$27.51, Website-$22.01

If your local dealer will give you a similar deal go ahead and order from them (bear in mind my father's dealer charged $16 to cut his key), otherwise I recommend ordering from Jason. Just so you can see the process here's the procedure for programming a new key.

Originally Posted by Spare Key Programming
Items needed:
1. 2 pre-programmed transponder keys.
2. 1 new transponder key

The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and urn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it before.