Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Default Water leak

I am getting water on the front and back floorboards on the passenger side. I’m guessing it’s from the sunroof. I’ve had three different shops look at it and they either tell me they don’t know where it’s coming from and it’s not the sunroof or they tell me it’s something that it actually isn’t. My mechanic told me that none of them are REALLY testing the sunroof because it’s too much of a pain.

I had the mold cleaned out of the car and now I put a tarp over the car when I know it’s going to rain. Yesterday I couldn’t during a period of of hard rain and now I can feel dampness on the door side of the floorboards. I can’t keep doing this and there are times when I will not be able to put the tarp on the car. Help! What do I do? I can’t afford to get a new car.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:32 PM

Water on the floor of the passenger side could be coming from a clogged drain for the air conditioner.

I have never tried to check sunroof drains on a Mazda (my Mazda does not have a sunroof) but it can't be very hard. When you open the sunroof, there should be obvious drains. If you can get the car dry, dribble some water into the drain on the passenger side and see if it somehow leaks into the cabin. Actually, I would consider taking the passenger seat out and getting the carpet away from the area that appears to get wet. That does sound like some work, but having water on the floor is not something you can just shrug off. It causes both mold and rust, neither of which is your friend.

Last edited by BobKo; 05-05-2021 at 06:21 PM.